small file/print server: g4 or g5?

sdbsdb
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to get a dedicated file/print server for up to 5 workstations (3 g5's and 2 g3 powerbooks); we use vectorworks (cad), adobe apps and office.

What's the best thing to do:

- buy a single proc pm g5 with or without external FW800 drive(s)??

or

- buy a (cheaper) dual proc g4 with internal drive(s)??Connection from/to workstations is gigabit ethernet via switch. The number of workstations won't grow higher than 8 or so for some time.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If it's just a server .. then a fast processor is not required .... a single G4 would do the trick.

All the work (CAD and such) will be done by the workstation CPU ... the server will just be retrieving files, right ?

The trick is ... with huge files, will the SATA or FW 800 drives make a noticeable difference ? (and could they make a difference in the future ?... as a server, theres no reason not to expect to use this machine for many years)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sdbsdb Posts: 2member
    Yes, the workstations do all the 'work', but the files will be stored on the server (files won't be stored locally on workstations). That's what I thought too...: for the server it's more a question of I/O speed than processor speed. The problem is: the G5 1.8/2.0 have faster PCI slots... so if I stick to the G4 for now, I won't have that advantage. Same with the 1,6GHz G5. So, witch one will be fast enough:

- G4 with S-ATA PCI card and S-ATA drives

- G4 with ext. FW800 drives

- G5 1.8/2.0 with S-ATA drives (standard Apple ones ore other)

- G5 1.8/2.0 with ext. FW800 drives

I guess a G4 with an extra FW800 PCI card + 2 FW800 drives in RAID config will be sufficient for some time...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I'd get a G5, why not, system controller is updated etc... SATA is pretty fast, if you get a RAID 0 going, data's going to move really fast. I"m not sure about FW800 and the speed, but it will be fast also. I'd probably use the FW drives for quick backup and safe storage.