Israeli Cabinet Decides to Expand the Wall.

newnew
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
BBC link.

Quote:

The Israeli cabinet has approved the next phase of the so-called security fence in the West Bank which will enclose several big Jewish settlements.

It will erect a separate fence around the settlement of Ariel to accommodate US concerns that it will isolate Palestinian villages, and obstruct the current Middle East peace process known as the roadmap.

The Israeli cabinet decision comes a day after a United Nations report condemned the barrier as illegal and tantamount to "an unlawful act of annexation".

The fact that they decided to keep the possibility of including Ariel, a large settlement in the middle of the west bank, open - inspite of US threaths to withhold loans - is interesting.

This is truely apartheid in its most modern form, and needs to be recognized as such.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    unacceptable
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Outrageous, depressing.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I have had debates with others on these forums about the unreality of the current ?official? roadmap for peace - which both sides officially support, but which neither side actually endorses at heart and which, in my view would not work. We have also discussed alternative roadmaps.

I think that that these most recent plans by Sharon prove ? if there was not proof enough already ? that Israel does not actually intend to implement the 'official' roadmap. The Palestinians, meanwhile have given their equivalent proof using other methods.

And now we see, in these Israeli plans, what one alternative roadmap looks like.

And will this Israeli alternative bring peace? I say that that it will, in a sense: it will probably reduce the bombings, at least in the short to medium term. But it will only bring peace in the way that imprisonment brings peace ? and here we have the imprisonment of a population.

So yes, time for some thinking about alternatives - but certainly not this one.