Panther: turnaround times

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So how long do you reckon it takes to get something like Panther onto the shelf, from finalisation?

I'm guessing that all the localised versions are printed/pressed/colated locally (e.g. the UK version will be produced in the UK/Ireland) rather than being shipped en masse from the US.

Anybody have any guesses?

If it's going to be released Oct 3, am I right in saying that it's already been finalised weeks ago and they're rattling them off right now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It won't be the 3rd, I think the 25th with stores opening in the evening.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

So how long do you reckon it takes to get something like Panther onto the shelf, from finalisation?

I'm guessing that all the localised versions are printed/pressed/colated locally (e.g. the UK version will be produced in the UK/Ireland) rather than being shipped en masse from the US.

Anybody have any guesses?

If it's going to be released Oct 3, am I right in saying that it's already been finalised weeks ago and they're rattling them off right now?

Most companies usually have the boxes, manuals,ect all set to go, so basically it is shipping and cd duplication, most times from gold to release is usually about 2 weeks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Why do you say Oct 3 ? Have I missed something ?

There was some silliness about how Apple should release Panther (a/k/a 10.3) on October 3rd.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

There was some silliness about how Apple should release Panther (a/k/a 10.3) on October 3rd.

• Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

Most companies usually have the boxes, manuals,ect all set to go, so basically it is shipping and cd duplication, most times from gold to release is usually about 2 weeks

So you're saying that once Apple has declared 7B85 Golden Master, (which is apparently today - 02/10/03), then it'll take approximately 2-3 weeks to reel off a couple of a hundred thousand CD's, which would be inserted to the already made Panther boxes?

Whoa: I just realised something. If the boxes are already made, (with the manuals etc. inside), and Apple are still tweaking the interface, then that explains why in previous versions of OS X, the screenshots in the manual appear to be slightly different to the real OS X version. Hmmm. m.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

So you're saying that once Apple has declared 7B85 Golden Master, (which is apparently today - 02/10/03), then it'll take approximately 2-3 weeks to reel off a couple of a hundred thousand CD's, which would be inserted to the already made Panther boxes?

Whoa: I just realised something. If the boxes are already made, (with the manuals etc. inside), and Apple are still tweaking the interface, then that explains why in previous versions of OS X, the screenshots in the manual appear to be slightly different to the real OS X version. Hmmm. m.

yep, of course, they could still be mean and wait till dec.