New Hampshire the 'Free State'?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...ed_free_state/

So basically, they want to move 20,000 people to New Hampshire in an attempt to shape the politics here. New Hampshire does have a large amount of 'independents', admittedly, but I don't know if that means that people really want a large group of people moving into the state with the goal of taking control of the political environment.

Personally, I think this will go over like a lead balloon, but who knows? In an economy where there are hardly any jobs to go around, do we want 20,000 more people packing up and moving to the state? Property values might go up temporarily, but that's not good for those who just want to stay where they are, as property tax is just about the only major tax in New Hampshire, and higher property values means higher taxes. Also, the state won't be making much off of the increased population as buildings such as schools will have to be renovated to allow for more students, you'll need more police and fire fighters, and it will be harder to get into local colleges as there will be more people trying to get into the same number of spots.

If someone was considering moving a large amount of people to your state to try and change the people in the government that you chose, while at the same time making it harder for you to find employment and simultaneously raising your taxes, what would you do? I love New Hampshire and I'm glad that so many people think this is a good state to move to, but I think their intentions are less than admirable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I think mass migration to achieve political goals has a pretty clear history in the United States. I mean look at the entire state of Utah.

I assure you there is a mass migration changing the politics of California even as we speak.

New Hampshire and the Libertarians huh... hmmmm.....What's your zip Fran, I might have to look at some houses in the area.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I assure you there is a mass migration changing the politics of California even as we speak.

Keep in mind that there is also mass emigration that is affecting the political balance in Cali, too.

(I'm assuming that the migration you're talking about is the influx from the south.)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Keep in mind that there is also mass emigration that is affecting the political balance in Cali, too.

(I'm assuming that the migration you're talking about is the influx from the south.)

True, true... another factor to consider as well not only for California but for New Hampshire as well. Do you think these 20,000 libertarians (and possibly one Trumptman) could cause 20,000 or so Democrats to leave the state?

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

True, true... another factor to consider as well not only for California but for New Hampshire as well. Do you think these 20,000 libertarians (and possibly one Trumptman) could cause 20,000 or so Democrats to leave the state?

Nick

I think you could do it alone.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Live Free Then Die, that's my motto.

• Reply 6 of 10
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Breaking up the monopoly Dems and Reps have should be priority #1 in getting the country going in the right direction again. The Free State Project is great. Of course, if you hate economic, social, and personal freedoms, I could see why you wouldn't like it.

http://www.freestateproject.org/
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Like trumptman said, nothing new here. Up until about 30 years ago Vermont used to be a solidly Republican state. It became a destination for a lot of northeastern "flatlanders" - especially New Yorkers. With it's small population it didn't take much of an influx to completely change the political culture there. Now Vermont Republicans are practically an endangered species.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Well I'll have to scratch the New Hampshire idea myself. I looked up a few teaching openings and apparently New Hampshire believes they are "paying" their teachers if they give them a piece of cardboard to stand next to a freeway offramp and beg with.

There were plenty of districts in which the average salary was a whole $25-27,000.

I think a shift manager at Walmart or McDonalds makes a bit more than that.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    market forces should dictate income.

Anyway, as a libertarian I find this somewhat amusing, though I don't have plans to move to New Hampshire. It's also indicative of the range of values in libertarianism: at one end the over-educated idealists, at he other the freedom-minded individualists.

I must say, though, that the "Live Free or Die" state motto of New Hampshire is very fitting for a libertarian invasion. I hope it works out. As for jobs, Fran, at least libertarians aren't of the persuasion to go on welfare or anything or the sort. In general, it's a group that tends to create jobs.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

market forces should dictate income.

They will. This market won't have me.

Nick