Powerbook Stands

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've ordered the 1.25 GHz 15" Powerbook. I presently own an Apple LCD monitor and am purchasing an Apple Pro cordless keyboard. Assuming the keyboard will be directly in front of the LCD monitor I'm looking for a stand that will stand the Powerbook upright, thus taking up very little desktop space. All I've seen are stands to lay the notebook flat onto with the screen popped up.

Anyone know of anything out there that will fit the bill?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Is something like this Macally gizmo what you had in mind?

The iCurve and that MacMice solution are standard, simple risers. The above device seems to prop the PowerBook/iBook in a more vertical (desk space-saving) position.

It's only $19.

I was thinking about one.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Yeah, it's not nearly as nice-looking as the iCurve. However, he stresses that he's looking for a more space-saving solution, so I responded accordingly.

Griffin could/should step up and make an iCurve 2 that keeps the nice, rounded clear acrylic look BUT allows for a more vertical placement, like the MacAlly product.

Best of both worlds: appearance AND space-saving.

Anyone from Griffin listening?

• Reply 3 of 26
    Yeesh, what about those bad things I've heard about running the drive at an odd angle like that for long periods of time? That *can't* be good for the machine.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yeah, it's not nearly as nice-looking as the iCurve. However, he stresses that he's looking for a more space-saving solution, so I responded accordingly.

I appreciate the suggestion but what I'm REALLY looking for is something that stands it up perfectly straight with the lid closed. Simple bookends, padded so it won't scratch, leaving the ports accessible.

Surely somebody makes such a device.

What do others that use an external monitor do?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Yeesh, what about those bad things I've heard about running the drive at an odd angle like that for long periods of time? That *can't* be good for the machine.

I agree. Even though i've heard that it is safe to run PowerBooks at any angle, I'm still a bit wary about running my 'Book at weird angles for extended periods of time. I don't want to inadvertently break the drive.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomster1300

I appreciate the suggestion but what I'm REALLY looking for is something that stands it up perfectly straight with the lid closed. Simple bookends, padded so it won't scratch, leaving the ports accessible.

Surely somebody makes such a device.

What do others that use an external monitor do?

Ah, I see. Sorry. I didn't know you were looking to run the PowerBook closed and simply drive the external display.

I don't know, in that case.

You say you have an Apple LCD display...what size?

I know you want to be vertical and save space, but is there a chance you could slide your closed PowerBook between the legs of the display and tuck it back under your display? I mean, your display is going to take up that amount of desk space anyway, right? Maybe the PowerBook might pooch out a couple of inches at most.

But this also leaves it flat, negating the issue Brad brings up.

Just a thought. And it doesn't require buying anything!

• Reply 7 of 26
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Haha I love your diagram 'scates...you wer pretty bored huh?

How about making me a picasso PBook 15"? I liked your imac one!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    resres Posts: 711member
    Is it a good idea to run a powerbook closed all the time? I would not do it with my Ti powerbook, I'd worry too much about heat damage...
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x Haha I love your diagram 'scates...you wer pretty bored huh?

Ha...does it show that much?

I'm all about the infographics...any excuse.

I actually had to make myself NOT apply gradients, side ports, shadows, and flesh out the Cinema Display. Wouldn't have made it into the 2-minute time limit I set for myself.

• Reply 10 of 26
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    Forgive my ignorance but is it really possible to use the 'book closed, and use a monitor? Like in that little diagram? What do i need to do for that?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Just close the laptop, connect the monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse, and hit a key on the keyboard or click the mouse. That will wake up the machine and it'll realize that it's being used in "clamshell mode" so it'll stay awake instead of going to sleep.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Ha...does it show that much?

I'm all about the infographics...any excuse.

I actually had to make myself NOT apply gradients, side ports, shadows, and flesh out the Cinema Display. Wouldn't have made it into the 2-minute time limit I set for myself.

*cough* Will you make me a powerbook picasso pic? Puh-puh-puh-leeze
  • Reply 13 of 26
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Is it a good idea to run a powerbook closed all the time? I would not do it with my Ti powerbook, I'd worry too much about heat damage...

Just a thought, can you still slide it under the Apple display but leave the PB lid open? In other words, just the lower portion of the PB (keyboard and palm rest) is under the external display. The PB's LCD display is behind the external display's screen.

Gee, I wish someone could illustrate this. Pscates?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Wouldn't the screen hit the support arm if you did that?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Well, I said "slide it up under...part of it might pooch out a little".

Depending on the Apple display you have AND the PowerBook doing the sliding, your results may vary.

• Reply 16 of 26
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Uh...not sure. Probably the 15" PB would, but perhaps a 12" PB's screen might fit under the support arm of a 20" or 23" Apple display.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    As we seem to have digressed just a tad here, fellows, I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy the MacMice acrylic perch. This way shoudl I ever need two displays, I'll have that option.

Appreciate the, uhm, artwork. :-)
  • Reply 18 of 26
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    Thanks luca, it worked like a charm.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomster1300

As we seem to have digressed just a tad here, fellows, I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy the MacMice acrylic perch. This way shoudl I ever need two displays, I'll have that option.

Appreciate the, uhm, artwork. :-)

You're, uhm, welcome...

Don't dismay too much about the thread wandering off...it was here and if anyone knew of any sort of vertical-mounting "bookends" type of product, they would've said so. I even did some google searching and hitting quite a few Mac peripheral companies, both large and small. Chances are, one doesn't exist.

Which, to an enterprising young person, might be a nice little spark and genesis of an idea...

Design your own and get rich off others. It's America, you're allowed.

• Reply 20 of 26
    http://macimports.com/macimp/kamas2.html

If you feel like parting with mad jacksons, this one is definately the 'best' and also coolest looking IMHO.