Panther Release Date

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
okay, all the rumors seem to point to Panther being released sometime this month. i'm thinking (guessing...) that Panther will be released this Friday (October 3).

that way, Apple would be releasing 10.3 on 10/3.

(i bet steve planned it this way)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    jasocojasoco Posts: 74member
    The 24th. Like they always do. 24 is Apple's favorite number.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by stuiesaxblue32

okay, all the rumors seem to point to Panther being released sometime this month. i'm thinking (guessing...) that Panther will be released this Friday (October 3).

that way, Apple would be releasing 10.3 on 10/3.

(i bet steve planned it this way)

You mean: 3/10...

(I could never understand the US format of dates, (MM/DD/YY), it's just wrong. The international version is better, as it is in order of 'length', (DD/MM/YY)).

Anyway, my point is: I want Panther ASAP!!! m.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Since setting up my first domain with BIND so many years ago, I've become quite used to using a YYYY/MM/DD format. That way, the number never decreases.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    If Panther has just gone Golden Master (according to Appleinsider and other RUMOR sites), then it will be a minimum of 2 weeks till it's released. The 18th or 25th sounds about right as it is a Saturday. Jaguar was released on a Saturday. The October 3rd date was just speculation and wishful thinking by some posters here.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Man I hope so. I can't wait to try out Panther (I refuse to download betas bleh).

OT: ahhh but the US date scheme reflects how we say it here... October 24th, 2003. Therefore 10/24/2003.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    c98tac98ta Posts: 4member
    I think that Apple will announce Panther on 10/3 for pre-order and release it on 10/24. How about that?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by c98ta

I think that Apple will announce Panther on 10/3 for pre-order and release it on 10/24. How about that?

To quote Jurrasic Park "Clever Girl". I like that idea...
  • Reply 8 of 26
    ditto.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    But, what I want to know is if I'll get a free, or at least discounted, 10.3 since I just bought a 15" Al. Any ideas? Thanks.

-N
  • Reply 10 of 26
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Based on past OS upgrades and new updated computer purchases shortly before the answer would seem to be yes. But the final answer will come from Apple. Nobody here really knows. Ask another question.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Ask another question.

Why can't Coke re-release Surge? That was some good grock! ALSO, why did they discontinue the green matrix powerade. It was ALSO good grock. Curse the beverage nazis! WHY? WHY? WHY???

::goes for some medication::
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Surge was great. I forgot all about it.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

OT: ahhh but the US date scheme reflects how we say it here... October 24th, 2003. Therefore 10/24/2003.

Yeah, I never say "the twenty-fourth of October," I always say "October twenty-fourth." So that's how I write it as well.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Yeah, I never say "the twenty-fourth of October," I always say "October twenty-fourth." So that's how I write it as well.

Ditto.

Though, when creating images and screenshots for my website so they sort in the correct order, I name them 2003/10/02. Year/Month/Day. That way they are in chronoligical order. I don't like it, and it's only because Finder won't sort them correctly if the year was at the end, so it's at the beginning.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    And...the format "2003/10/12" progressed nicely from most general to most specific.

If you included time it could be:

2003/10/12 13:05

Indicating the 5th minute of the 13th hour of the 12th day of the 10th month of 2003rd year.

I like it.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

And...the format "2003/10/12" progressed nicely from most general to most specific.

If you included time it could be:

2003/10/12 13:05

Indicating the 5th minute of the 13th hour of the 12th day of the 10th month of 2003rd year.

I like it.

Yeah. It's good for sorting files in folders.

Still when I am writing, I'm gonna put 10/3/2003. It's more natural to me.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Jasoco, why don't you just use the list view ?

Or the order by date option ?

Oh, and to stay on topic, I will be super happy IF panther does come out tomorrow... 10.3
  • Reply 18 of 26
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

(I could never understand the US format of dates, (MM/DD/YY), it's just wrong. The international version is better, as it is in order of 'length', (DD/MM/YY)).

I once saw this format in film...

... and thought it was cool. Like a giant counter, that puts things in perspective!
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Jasoco, why don't you just use the list view ?

Or the order by date option ?

Oh, and to stay on topic, I will be super happy IF panther does come out tomorrow... 10.3

*cough*

Wanna show me WHERE IT IS IN COLUMN VIEW???

*sigh*
  • Reply 20 of 26
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jasoco

*cough*

Wanna show me WHERE IT IS IN COLUMN VIEW???

*sigh*

hmmm ok... 2 mins!

Edit:

Well S**T ON ME!!!

you learn something new every day. I knew there was a reason for me using list view and command-up, command-down.