original airport card in a G5??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anybody know if I can put my original airport card (with the interface adapter) into my Dual G5?

or does the G5 only support Airport Extreme?

thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Only the AirPort Extreme, sorry.

The Extreme Cards are mini-PCI standard, while the normal AirPort cards use the PCMCIA standard...they use different connectors inside the machine.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by wbrowne1

Does anybody know if I can put my original airport card (with the interface adapter) into my Dual G5?

or does the G5 only support Airport Extreme?

thanks...

As stated, you will have to purchase an Extreme card for your machine, but I wouldn't worry--the Extreme card can still connect to original AirPort base stations.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    The airport extreme has a different power connector. The Mhz of the chip is also higher making the pin count rise. I guess you could always sell your old airport card, and get a Airport Xtreme one. Plus why would you want to put a old card in the "Fastest computer in the world"!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

The airport extreme has a different power connector. The Mhz of the chip is also higher making the pin count rise. I guess you could always sell your old airport card, and get a Airport Xtreme one. Plus why would you want to put a old card in the "Fastest computer in the world"!

HUH???

Seriously, do you have ANY idea what you're talking about? The connector is different, yes, but not just the power. It's Mini-PCI vs PCMCIA/ATA.

Frequency (MHz) has no tangible relation to the number of pins on the connector.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Oh well, now I gotta pay 90$ to be able to use the internet for three months when I get home from school...

Thanks for the info guys.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by wbrowne1

Oh well, now I gotta pay 90$ to be able to use the internet for three months when I get home from school...

Thanks for the info guys.

If it is just for 3 months why not buy a long network cable? Yah, it looks messy but it is only for 3 months. If for some reason your WAP does not have at least one extra rj45 connector then hook it up to a computer that gets the internet wireless and just have it share its connection.

There is many ways NOT to spend $90 if you get creative.