Seti@home Die! Die!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Browsing through process viewer I noticed that there are entries for SETI@homeInit and S@hScreenSaver. Since I long ago deleted Seti@home, why are these two entries still there? I searched the HD for anything Seti, and couldn't find anything. How do I permanently kill off Seti?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 5
    "Removing SETI@home from your OS X system

Note: terminal commands are case-sensitive, so be careful of upper and lower case when typing.

The "SETI@home_Docs" folder contains a shell script which will completely remove SETI@home from your OS X system. To do this:

(1) Log in as the system administrator.

(2) In the Applications/Utilities folder, launch the Terminal application.

(3) Enter "source" and a space. From the Finder, drag the S@h_Uninstall_Script file onto the Terminal window. This should complete the "Source" command. Press return.

(4) Enter "exit" and a return.

(5) This does not remove the "SETI@home_Docs" folder; you can do this manually by dragging it to the trash.

OS X Public Beta used a slightly different spelling for the "Application Support" folder; the space between the words was missing under Public beta. With SETI@home for OS X Public Beta, the SETI@home Preferences file and SETI@home_Data folder were in the "ApplicationSupport" folder; for the release version they are in the "Application Support" folder.

Earlier versions of the Macintosh operating system allowed you to restart your computer while holding down the shift key to disable all system extensions. This was useful if you were unable to boot your computer due to a problem with one of the extensions.

Mac OS X does not have this feature. While it is very unlikely that SETI@home would prevent you from starting up your computer, you can restart without SETI@home by booting from the CD-ROM which you used to install OS X. Insert the CD into the drive and hold down the "c" key while restarting the computer. You can then run the S@h_Uninstall_Script as describe above to completely remove SETI@home from your system."

FROM: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/[email protected]
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Moving to Software
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Earlier versions of the Macintosh operating system allowed you to restart your computer while holding down the shift key to disable all system extensions. This was useful if you were unable to boot your computer due to a problem with one of the extensions.

Mac OS X does not have this feature.

This is false.

Next time you restart your Mac, hold shift and be pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    OK, we'll see about that whole shift key thing.