How do I switch out of a full-screen game?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm a recent switcher (1.25 15" PB). Actually I'm not entirely a switcher, I haven't used Windows in several years, but I am making the new Mac my primary machine, and making my desktop Linux box very jealous. I used to use windows to play games like Starcraft and Diablo. I decided to purchase WCIII and NWN when I bought my new Mac on the recommendations of friends. However, there is one thing that I don't know how to do on my new Mac that really annoys me.

When I am playing either of these games, and say, an iChat comes in, I want to be able to switch applications so I can respond to the iChat, without exiting the game. In Windows (many years ago) this was accomplished by pressing alt-tab to switch applications. On my Mac I have tried Command-tab; it has no effect while running the game. I have also tried Option-Command-Tab but it exits WCIII entirely without even giving me the option of saving.

Can anyone help me out?

-Spyky

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hit the Windows key. Oh wait, nevermind. That's ****ing annoying anyway when some jackass messages you in the middle of a game, just to interrupt you. Or if you accidentally hit the Windows key. Why the hell do PC users need a key to press a menu for them? And they think MACS are for morons.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Some games allow you to hide the game by pressing command-H. Try that out sometime. (pause first!)

And log off when you play games! Otherwise people IM you, it's really annoying.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    For NWN on PC you can change an ini file...

"Neverwinter Nights doesn't have any documentation regarding running in windowed rather than full-screen mode. If you'd like to, the pertinent commands are setting fullscreen=0 and AllowWindowedMode=1 in your nwn/nwn.ini file. Thanks go out to LinuxWorld , specifically Mr. Joe Bar for the assist."

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    CMD-H works in most games, but in some games, like Warcraft III, you have to press CMD-M to wondow it, and then hide it.