Broken iPod?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Whenever I plug my iPod in, an image of a magnifying glass scanning that hard drive (looks like a CD) comes up and a small black bar fills up extremely slowly. When it's done a little checkmark appears and then everything works fine. It's really annoying though because if I want it happens EVERY TIME I plug it in so it takes half an hour to upload one song. Is there any way to fix this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    You may consider trying to reset the iPod. You'll have to reload all your music back to it from iTunes but it just might do the trick.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    spykyspyky Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wolfeye155

Whenever I plug my iPod in, an image of a magnifying glass scanning that hard drive (looks like a CD) comes up and a small black bar fills up extremely slowly. When it's done a little checkmark appears and then everything works fine. It's really annoying though because if I want it happens EVERY TIME I plug it in so it takes half an hour to upload one song. Is there any way to fix this?

I had this problem with my brand new iPod. Reset it, and it worked.

You can go to apple's support pages for more info. Basically, I reset it by holding play and menu, they put it in firewire disk mode by holding the forward and backward buttons. When I reconnected to my Mac, it asked me if I wanted to mount the new device, I told it to format it as "Mac Extended" (HFS+). Then I reset again to turn of firewire mode, reinstalled 2.0.1. and it's worked fine since. Note: you will lose everything on the iPod, obviously.

-Spyky