in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ah, Mouy intreesante!

IBM to Make CPUs for Microsoft XBOX 2?

Quote:

IBM to Make CPUs for Microsoft XBOX 2?

PowerPC, AMD64-based XBOX 2?

by Anton Shilov

10/03/2003_|_04:33 AM

There are rumours coming from all around the web that IBM will develop and manufacture the CPU for Microsoft?s next-generation game-console known as XBOX 2. The information is fully unofficial, but unexpected decisions may really come from Microsoft, as earlier this year the Redmond, Washington-based software giant changed its graphics and possibly core-logic partner ? now ATI Technologies will make the VPU for the XBOX 2, not NVIDIA, who produced the XGPU for the original XBOX. Even though the deal may be interesting for IBM, there are still a number of obstacles on the company?s way.

One of the trumps XBOX has is its PC-like architecture. It uses Intel IA32 microprocessor, NVIDIA NV25-based GPU integrated into MCH of the system, PC3200 memory, USB connections, Ethernet, conventional HDD as well as Windows operating system. Basically, XBOX is just a PC, it does not contain any special technologies developed for particular console from the ground-up, a paramount advantage of every Sony or Nintendo console. In short, XBOX is based on x86 architecture, works like a PC and may use various components from various suppliers.

Currently IBM supplies its Power processors for high-end servers, a special cut-down version of Power processors for desktop Apple computers, additionally, IBM developed the microprocessor for Nintendo GAMECUBE console, also based on Power architecture. The chips are 64-bit and do not support x86 in any way. This may not be the problem, as there unofficial claims about XBOX 2 incompatibility with XBOX games. However, in case IBM supplies a 64-bit processor for Microsoft?s console, the largest software creator will have to develop a special operating system for the XBOX supporting IBM?s 64-bit CPUs, while other companies involved in the project will probably have to write special drivers.

It is possible that IBM will develop a special processor for the XBOX based on some existing architectures, like x86-64, for instance. Though, historically IBM preferred to utilise its own Power architecture in almost all its processors, such as IBM Gekko designed for the Nintendo GAMECUBE.

I should point out that unless Microsoft and IBM started working on the XBOX 2 CPU back in 2001, IBM will hardly be able to develop a truly special version of its chip for the XBOX 2, as it took Nintendo and IBM about 3 to 4 years to tailor PowerPC micro-architecture for Nintendo GAMECUBE console and create the actual CPU.

To sum up, it is pretty hard to estimate the probability of IBM?s processors in the next-generation console from Microsoft. On the one hand, IBM may deliver a better solution from price : performance point of view than Intel due to some reasons, on the other hand, there are only two years left before the XBOX 2 should emerge, does IBM have enough time to develop that magnificent CPU?

Quote:

There are rumours coming from all around the web that IBM will develop and manufacture the CPU for Microsoft?s next-generation game-console known as XBOX 2.

First I've heard of it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Not really Apple Hardware related. Sending to General Discussion...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    It will never happen since the Xbox Dashboard is based on Win2k and they will want backwards compatibility with the original Xbox. I doubt even a tweaked Virtual PC will be able to emulate the original Xbox without some complications, especially with games with network or Xbox Live code.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

It will never happen since the Xbox Dashboard is based on Win2k and they will want backwards compatibility with the original Xbox. I doubt even a tweaked Virtual PC will be able to emulate the original Xbox without some complications, especially with games with network or Xbox Live code.

It has been stated in several quarters that MS doesn't really care about backwards compatibility. Even if that's not true, the XBOX1 is only a 733 MHz Celeron variant which it might be possible to emulate adequately with a 3 GHz 97x processor. The switch to an ATI GPU itself might be enough to break backward compatibility because much of the device independence of DirectX was removed for the XBox implementation.

The Dashboard itself is a trivial app, it is the kernel that is based on the NT kernel... and this was built to be portable. There have been Alpha, MIPS, and even PowerPC versions of it in the past.

Having said all that, I will be seriously surprised if this comes to pass. It might just be a negotiating tactic to leverage a better deal with Intel. They did that last time between AMD and Intel, after all. Even at the official announcement, AMD was sure they had the deal.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I thought IBM was to produce the Playstation 3's processor along with Toshiba... wouldn't Sony have some kind of exclusive contract?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

I thought IBM was to produce the Playstation 3's processor along with Toshiba... wouldn't Sony have some kind of exclusive contract?

No.....

IBM is already making processors for Nintendo, so I don't think they'd sign any deals that would lock them out from making processors for other companies.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Only for the specific processor, and even then the exclusivity will only apply to processors with Sony/Toshiba specific technology in them.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    This isn't too likely to happen. What is the overridign financial motivation for MS to go with a new processor that will have to do backwards compatibility awith x86 anyways? MS will go with whatever x86 compatible hardware costs the least. The CPU in an XBOX is totally overpowered for a game console (most of game consoles are about the GPU, not the CPU). If anything, this is a negotiating tactic and it is WAY too late for MS to contract IBM to make some new chip.

Of course, while writing this, it occurred to me that MS bought Virtual PC and so doing the whole emulationthing is much more doable. Scary stuff that. So maybe this could work out. Still, I think this is just a negotiating tactic.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

This isn't too likely to happen. What is the overridign financial motivation for MS to go with a new processor that will have to do backwards compatibility awith x86 anyways? MS will go with whatever x86 compatible hardware costs the least. The CPU in an XBOX is totally overpowered for a game console (most of game consoles are about the GPU, not the CPU). If anything, this is a negotiating tactic and it is WAY too late for MS to contract IBM to make some new chip.

Also it doesn't do anything to encourage game developers who will have to write either more portable code and/or buy even more dev hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    XBox2 will not use a PowerPC processor -- this Anton Shilov guy doesn't understand how Microsoft works.

For one: Microsoft's XDK is based on its Visual Studio tools, and the VS team has no plans to support PPC development any time soon.

This rumor may contain a kernel of truth, however. Doesn't AMD have some sort of maufacturing arrangement with IBM? It could be that Microsoft is considering an AMD part as the brain for its next 'box...

This acutally wouldn't be too surprising; Xbox1's original design made use of an AMD CPU. But Intel became jealous and made Microsoft an "offer it couldn't refuse."
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

The CPU in an XBOX is totally overpowered for a game console (most of game consoles are about the GPU, not the CPU).

Spoken like somebody who has no idea what game development is like.