PowerBook battery life improved with 10.2.8 update

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know this could probably go into the OS X forum, however, since a lot of us are recent TiBook and new aluminum PowerBook owners, I thought this was the best place for this thread given the apparent mediocre battery life of the new 15s.

It seems as though the battery life on my Ti867 is back to normal. I was getting solid 3 hours prior to the update to 10.2.8. After updating to the initial release of 10.2.8, I was getting around 2 hours or less. Now it's back to 3 hours+ with the 528K second update to 10.2.8.

While this is good news, I've read Panther is working miracles for battery life, and I can't wait until Panther is finally released!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I know this could probably go into the OS X forum, however, since a lot of us are recent TiBook and new aluminum PowerBook owners, I thought this was the best place for this thread given the apparent mediocre battery life of the new 15s.

It seems as though the battery life on my Ti867 is back to normal. I was getting solid 3 hours prior to the update to 10.2.8. After updating to the initial release of 10.2.8, I was getting around 2 hours or less. Now it's back to 3 hours+ with the 528K second update to 10.2.8.

While this is good news, I've read Panther is working miracles for battery life, and I can't wait until Panther is finally released!

Since I just got my 15" Al, I have no other frame of reference, but I was getting just under 3 hours on average with 10.2.7. I've just updated to this new 10.2.8, and it appears it is doing wonders for my battery. I've already discharged it completely (it showed some wacky numbers while discharging), and now I'm charging it back up. According to X-Charge, I'm at 92%, but 1:18 until filled. What is happening is that the percent is staying at around 90%, the time until filled is increasing (now it's at 1:27, a minute later than the 1:18 ). Odd, but I'm assuming all those electrons are going in the right place, and I'll see them all again on the way out.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Good results on my trusty TiBook G4 400 MHz:

1:57 hrs. with energy saver set to "Maximum Performance", screen brightness at maximum, airport active and processor usage at 100% all the time !

And it was absolutely accurate with the remaining time (after 2-3 minutes of calibrating) and absolutely linear with the battery level graph.

Update:

2:51 hrs. with CPU-speed set to "Minimum", sleep off, harddisk sleep on, screen brightness at 75%, airport active and processor usage at 100% all the time !

It estimated 2:45, but actually ran 6 minutes LONGER !
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I have a new 15 and batt life is much improved with 10.2.8. I was getting about 2:15 to 2:30 prior and now getting 3:30. That's more like it!