Pics of the infamous 15" AlBook anomalies

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Here is a pic of the spots on my screen. I'm getting her replaced this week though. Those of you who are unaware of this problem, be sure to keep an eye on your 15" AlBook display. I didn't notice them until the 3rd day I had mine...and they are getting worse.

Damn spots

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Here is a pic of the spots on my screen. I'm getting her replaced this week though. Those of you who are unaware of this problem, be sure to keep an eye on your 15" AlBook display. I didn't notice them until the 3rd day I had mine...and they are getting worse.

Damn spots

Damn your eyes! I just did my daily test and I'm seeing them now.

Glad I know where that KB article is referring to them.

Did you have to push to get a replacement? Are you going to have to wait long? Do you think I should do it now, or wait for it to get worse.

[Edit]

Now the link to the KB article(s) is gone.

My only BTO is a 1x512 RAM stick.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    My powerbook is perfect, it doesn't have any of those.

It's all perfect except from one dead pixel, but the pixel is all at the top to the left, and it is only visible when the screen is black (when watching videos etc.)

So I never actually see it except when I wacht movies, and try to look for it.

I'm one hell of a happy guy right now!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

Damn your eyes! I just did my daily test and I'm seeing them now.

Glad I know where that KB article is referring to them.

Did you have to push to get a replacement? Are you going to have to wait long? Do you think I should do it now, or wait for it to get worse.

[Edit]

Now the link to the KB article(s) is gone.

My only BTO is a 1x512 RAM stick.

It was no problem to get a replacement. The team at Apple is investigating the problem, at least that is what the AppleCare rep said to me. Call Apple...tell them you have white spots about the size of dimes and quarters appearing on your screen,,.they aren't pure white, more like clouds., They'll run you through a set of standard reset procedures, the hardware test, they'll realize it is a physical problem and will offer to replace it for you. No problems. I have a stock 1.25Ghz 15", so I just have to wait for my Apple Store to get one in, but they offered to swap or repair mine. If you can do the wait, you might want to consider getting it repaired as a technician would inspect it to make sure it doesn't happen again. Good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

It was no problem to get a replacement. The team at Apple is investigating the problem, at least that is what the AppleCare rep said to me. Call Apple...tell them you have white spots about the size of dimes and quarters appearing on your screen,,.they aren't pure white, more like clouds., They'll run you through a set of standard reset procedures, the hardware test, they'll realize it is a physical problem and will offer to replace it for you. No problems. I have a stock 1.25Ghz 15", so I just have to wait for my Apple Store to get one in, but they offered to swap or repair mine. If you can do the wait, you might want to consider getting it repaired as a technician would inspect it to make sure it doesn't happen again. Good luck.

I'm getting a repair. I told them I wanted a replacement, but they said "no". If it shows up again, then I'll demand a repair. Since I have a BTO (512M RAM), I can't exchange it at my Apple Store. On the other hand, maybe the machines at the Apple store would have this problem over time, also, as they would be from the "first batch". Good point you made --- a repair is probably better at this point.

Hello iBook 700MHz.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    has the pro blem been fixed on apple's part?

as i'm getting one very soon
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I have the same thing myself--on a 15" Titanium! Strange, I know, but they started sprouting a few months ago, and it is in for repair even as we speak.