Airport Extreme crashes PB12?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

Just got my first Mac! Yey. It's a 1Ghz 12" Powerbook.

I got it yesterday morning, and yesterday evening I went out and got an Airpot Extreme card for it, because, what the hell.

Except, the thing keeps either not being recognized at all, making the machine not power up, crash DURING power up, and on the occasions where it DOES pwoer up all the way AND sees my network, crashes the machine when I type too hard!

It seems like this card is not seated very well, but I dont' see a way to make it sit more securely. I mean... it doesn't feel like it's latching on... doesn't take much force to pul it out, and I'm thinking that even when it's in all the way, it's not getting full contact all the time.

Anyone else seeing this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Definitely a loose card.

Be sure the wire isn't being pinched.

Do you have an Apple Store conveniently nearby? The Genius Bar will take a look for free and if anything is broken that's the place to discuss repair or card replacement options.

Can you take a pic of the card and show us how it is installed?

The wire shouldn't be under that card, just snaking around its edge. The barcodes should be face up. Rotate the little plug with the wire so that it lays flat.

Airport is invisible most of the time and rarely causes crashes unless the card is loose.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Do you have an Apple Store conveniently nearby?

Not conveniently... but there is one nearby... I hate going to the Mall of America....

Quote:

Can you take a pic of the card and show us how it is installed?

You asked for it (:

Here is the whole installation process, lovingly documented.

Note that the machine (THIS TIME) did do the power on sound, but then just sad there. I've had various other results...

I think I followed the instructions pretty well. The hatch over the airport doesn't close totally all the way, but it's not like a huge gap...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Ok, just curious, does the PowerBook work without the Airport card? Did it and does it? Sounds like you didn't have it for too long before adding Airport to the mix, so we should determine that first.

My guess is that the plug simply isn't pushed in deep enough. That would explain the lid not closing, then subsequent pressure would make it lose contact. Still guessing but beats a trip to Mall of America
  • Reply 4 of 7
    It worked/works perfectly without the card in, yeah.

The card won't go in anymore. It's more the antenna wire, it's like it's a few millimeters too long..
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Two things.

1) It doesn't look like it's all the way in. AppleCare said, looking straight down, you should not be able to see the card _at all_. Try this, if not, then:

2) Worse news; I had to return my powerbook to the applestore online, after trying two Airport cards, with poor reception (using two other cards).

hth
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Hey there.

Ok... I'd been pushing it in really hard, like till I thought it was going to break.

This time I pushed A LOT HARDER. I figured, it's only $99...

And it went in all the way!

but it still crashes! Gaaaah.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    when i installed mine, or rather attempted to, i had to make sure it was aligned; you sort of "feel" for it to align, at least I thought the edge toward me should be the guide (á la table saw, if you've ever used one).

but the crashes could just mean that the card is bad. call AppleCare and get a replacement overnighted to you. Then, you'll see if it's really the PowerBook. Or, if you can find a replacement from someone or perhaps a reseller.

still waiting on the replacement 'book.

Good luck.

Quote:

Originally posted by jethro1138

Hey there.

Ok... I'd been pushing it in really hard, like till I thought it was going to break.

This time I pushed A LOT HARDER. I figured, it's only $99...

And it went in all the way!

but it still crashes! Gaaaah.