I'm goin' to Ireland...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yep. Dublin to be specific, this month (10/21-10/25) and I've checked out some of those bloated travel books...but I want some really cool places to go to. Clubs, pubs, museums, galleries...Hell, even job opportunities...thanks.

Mac O' the Isles? 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    He's drunk again. You have to wait for the next morning. Better yet, wait for noon. Make that afternoon?or late evening.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Well I would say that not all Scotsmen are experts on Dublin tho i expect Sir Mac has in depth knowledge of the fair city. For myself i was disappointed by the place. You should go to Trinity College Library for the Book of Kells and stuff and we enjoyed the Civic Museum and The GPO of course as well but the there's something odd about the place.It's just not as culturally vibrant as it likes to think it is.The Temple Bar area is portrayed as the heart of young Dublin but it's tiny and we still got kicked out of the pub for an hour to please the Catholic Church. Before I'm accused of anti -Irishness i was travelling with my Irish brother -in-law, ( who is also a pal and hates Dublin) and staying with an Irish family just outside town.

After a few days in Dublin we got the train to Sligo for a proper time, the Craic was mighty, the landlord of the pub gave us lift home in his car, i think he was drunker than we were.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    UK pays better. but have fun there! drink a lot of guinness ...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Artman! How are ye?

I wish ye well on your trip tae Ireland and fully expect that you'll hae a wonderful time there. Unfortunately I hae little knowledge o' The Isle Emerald as I am in Scotland, as Mr London says. There were some Irish posters here (was it Billy for one?) who could probably be o' some practical assistance though. It should be a great experience.

Mr Defiant - getting drunk on ony kind o' regular basis has become too expensive for an auld penniless rogue like me. Ye must gie me unlimited access tae one o' your Swiss bank accounts there tae enable me tae live in the debauchery tae which I was once accustomed.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Sir Mac o' the Isles - I'll send you the account number and access code for one or two of my countless bank accounts, no problem. Check your PMs. Now!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Hop the train to Galway, it's only a couple of hours. Spend a night or two there and enjoy the Guinness. If you like Irish music I can send you to the right place.

I never much liked Dublin myself. Visit the brewery, St. James Gate, if you like the Guinness. Other than that I've always preferred the rest of Ireland. Well, not including Donegal. Dublin seems to be more 'cosmopolitan' than the rest of the country, or at least it's trying.

Like I was saying though, hop the train or a bus to Galway. It's on the West Coast just a couple of hours from Dublin. From there you can see the Cliffs of Moher, mighty spectacular. You can also take a day trip or spend the night on one of the three Aran islands out that way. The areas around Galway are beautiful, if you're into natural beauty. It's on the Atlantic coast so the fish and chips are really good and you can also visit Claddah, where they make them rings.

I've spend a lot of time in Ireland and Galway seems to be the best way to catch a good feel for Ireland in just a two days. As cheesy as it sounds, and I normally hate them, but there are some cheap bus tours that take you throughout the area and you get to see a ton. All the stone walls and fields, bogs, ancient sites, sheep, small towns and pubs; Ireland. The drivers usually give a good history too.

One tour does the northern area, the Connemara. Historically a very important area. And the other tour is of the 'more impressive' southern area (the name of which eludes me right now), including the Cliffs. The tours take you through all these things you could normally only see if you rented a car, but you've got a guide to learn some. So you see the stuff all day, then you're back in town in the evening and you hit the pubs. It's a university town so the town is usually vibrant and lively.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Artman -- you lucky, Flyers-watchin' bastard -- have a great trip!

• Reply 8 of 9
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Artman -- you lucky, Flyers-watchin' bastard -- have a great trip!

Thanks all for the info. It is a relatively short stay, my cousin's getting married (to an Irish girl) and most of my family will be along. My sisters have already planned bus trips. But I had hoped for maybe some unique spots around Dublin I could check out. Still, it's mostly cost free (my cousin's parents are rich...they are paying for most of our tickets, hotels, etc.).

Me? I'm broke too Mac. So I'll be sticking with family and being a good boy. Probably will come back with a "I went to Dublin and all I got was this bloody T-shirt."

• Reply 9 of 9
    http://travel.roughguides.com/roughguides.html

Oh bugger, i had saved the URL from the best of Dublin section of the site but it only goes to to this front end- apologies.Their books are usually good, track one down. Anyway, you'll have a bloody great time and leave with obscure stains over your T-shirt and a vague recollection of drinking too much. Enjoy Mr Artman, all the best to you.