eMac for me?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all,

I do not have enuff cash for a PowerMac G5 right now... an will not untell next summer or around then (better anyway cuze now I have an exuse to wait for the 3Ghz G5!)

So I was thinking about selling my 3 year old 350Mhz slot loading iMac(runninng Mac OS X 1.5) on ebay( going price was around $200-300) witch btw is a great starting computer.. for those first switching to a Mac who don't have alot of cash...

Then it would only cost me around $400-$500 (the diffrence) to get a new eMac. Ill probly get the eMac with around 700Mhz-1Ghz and panther (almost out, and would be stupid not to wait... )

anyway does anyone know the best price vs speed/features eMac I can get?

As in a super drive, ram, OS, software, ect, ect.

I figure ill buy my G5 later ^^ but this will be enuff to use photoshop 7.0 on right, untell next year and maybe a few games(warcraft/starcraft is all)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    well if you are coming from a 350MHz G3... probably yes
  • Reply 2 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I bought an eMac with my educational discount. Mine is the 1 GHz/Combo version. If you want to get one (and I'd recommend it), get one of the 1 GHz ones. The CD-ROM model is pretty bad. Also, if you have an educational discount, it's only $100 less than the Combo model.

Get the tilt and swivel stand, it helps a lot. Get the minimum amount of RAM you can (128 MB on the Combo, 256 MB on the Superdrive) but make sure you order an extra 512 MB of RAM. Crucial has excellent quality RAM and they're actually not much more expensive than the rest. In fact, buy the RAM ahead of time (as long as you're sure you'll be getting the computer) so you can install it immediately. It's sad how slow it can get with just 128 MB.

Remember that the Superdrive eMac cannot boot into OS 9. Also, the internal speakers are pretty bad and if you listen to anything that's loud (or even a medium volume), it will make the image on the screen shake. External speakers are essential unless you plan on using headphones or something, or you don't listen to anything very loudly.

Even without an educational discount, the Combo and Superdrive versions are still a lot better values. Going from the CD-ROM to the Combo gets you an extra 200 MHz, a FAR more useful optical drive, and 20 GB of extra space. The Superdrive version of course has the DVD burner and it also has 256 MB of RAM standard, and an 80 GB hard drive instead of 60 GB.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Sure. I recommend the mid-range model. It sells for $1,000 base. A nicely configured model with 256MB RAM and the eMac stand sells for $1,108.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Warcraft 3, Photoshop, and various other heavy-duty apps run pretty well on my Powerbook G4 1Ghz (Titanium). It has a gig of RAM which helps a bit, and I'd recommend getting 512MB with eMac.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Warcraft 3, Photoshop, and various other heavy-duty apps run pretty well on my Powerbook G4 1Ghz (Titanium). It has a gig of RAM which helps a bit, and I'd recommend getting 512MB with eMac.

lol, I hate OS 9.... OS X all the way!!! and Im not even on 10.2... Im on 10.1.5. O man I can't wait for panther ^^

Ill probly wait for panther to come out b4 I order my eMac.

as for the speakers.. what do you recomend?

and how do they plug in?

And how good is the grafix card? whats the highest res I can run warcraft3 on without lag, with all settings on high?

And I don't care if photoshop lags.... I have a TV hooked up right next to my comp ^^ as of now I turn it on and watch cable while I wait for a file to save.. as long as it doesn't take 1 thrid of a tv program to save a file.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers (~$50), but just about any pair of $50 or so speakers should be acceptable. I've heard the Logitech Z-340s are good as well, and so are the Cambridge Soundworks PCWorks. Another option is to just buy an iSub to take some of the load off the internal speakers, but I think it would be best just to buy external ones. Speakers plug in using the standard 3.5mm jack.

The graphics card isn't great, but it can run Warcraft III at 800x600 okay. "Without lag" is a relative term. If you really don't want lag, you still have to run it at minimum settings at 640x480x16. But it's playable at 800x600 with medium settings, or 640x480 with high settings.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    the radeon 9000 mobility with 64MB of RAM runs warcraft 3 on medium-medium at 1280x1024 really well. The 7500 should be OK at 1024x768 I imagine.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Does anyone know the best place to get an eMac... for the lowest price?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

Does anyone know the best place to get an eMac... for the lowest price?

Unless you're buying a used or refurbed model, you're not going to see much variability in price. I'm not sure if it's Apple corporate policy or not, but I've never seen new Macs sell for anything other than the suggested retail price, +/- a few dollars... and I mean a few dollars, like $1997 vs. $1999.

What you can get by shopping around are offers like free memory upgrades, free printers, free overnight shipping, etc.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Not to ask a silly question but how can you afford Photoshop 7 if you can't afford a couple extra hundred for a computer to run it on? You aren't 'borrowing' it from somewhere online are you?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Not to ask a silly question but how can you afford Photoshop 7 if you can't afford a couple extra hundred for a computer to run it on? You aren't 'borrowing' it from somewhere online are you?

You can actually get it pretty cheap on a student discount, especially if your school has a site license.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Right now... Im getting adobe elements, its about $60 at wallmart.

I can't get photoshop untell I get my G5.. or unless my perents buy it for me. I think its around $250 for photoshop with the edu discount.

So ill get all the good stuff next year ^^,

does anyone know if you can get the edu discount anyware except at the online apple store?

Ive heard alot of BAD things about apples shipping compony and would rather walk in to a Comp USA or the boca apple store and buy it.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Right now... Im getting adobe elements, its about $60 at wallmart.

I can't get photoshop untell I get my G5.. or unless my perents buy it for me. I think its around $250 for photoshop with the edu discount.

So ill get all the good stuff next year ^^,

does anyone know if you can get the edu discount anyware except at the online apple store?

Ive heard alot of BAD things about apples shipping compony and would rather walk in to a Comp USA or the boca apple store and buy it.

I think the first thing you need to buy is a good spelling checker.

I don't normally play Grammar and Spelling Police... but at some point, I crack. It's just too painful.

Fast, sloppy typing is one thing, but you're consistently spelling "until" as "untell" "I'll" as "ill", "enough" as "enuff" (if it weren't for all the other misspellings, I might have written that one off to l33t5p34|<), etc.

enuff -> enough (Or is this spelling a matter of "style"?)

untell -> until

cuze -> How about 'cuz? Even slang has standards.

witch -> Only if you mean a follower of pagan beliefs, otherwise "which".

exuse -> excuse

alot -> a lot (two words)

diffrence -> difference

Ill -> I'll

probly -> probably

recomend -> recommend

grafix -> graphics ("Style" again?)

(I'm skipping over things, by the way, which just look like sloppy typing.)

perents -> parents

its -> (meaning "it is") it's

anyware -> anywhere

compony -> company

Okay, okay I'll get off my soapbox now.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    LOL!

Sorry to much time on AIM.... type as fast as you can without any regaurd to spelling or grammer.

"enuff" Is AIM slang.

"untell" I have no clue why thats like that... just wasn't thinking.

cuze is AIM slang

witch again wasn't thinking.

"exuse" is just a typo...

"alot" is AIM slang

"diffrence" Isn't even in any of my posts on this thread...

and your criticizing me?

"Ill" a typo... why would you include little things like that?

"probly" is an AIM slang

"recomend" whoops thanks...

"grafix" is AIM slang.

"perents" ops I donno how that happend.

its -> (meaning "it is") it's

"anyware" wasn't thinking...

"compony " ops.... eh.... no comment.

don't b such a menie...
  • Reply 15 of 26
    nessienessie Posts: 12member
    My girlfriend bought an eMac 800 mhz with superdrive and I used it a lot this summer. I thought it a great little machine. I did a lot with iphoto and imovie, burned a dvd with iDvd. Pretty zippy computer. If fact, I just ordered a PB 12" 1 Ghz for myself, but if my girlfriend didn't already have one that I could use, I would've probably gone with the eMac. Only $1099 with education discount for the superdrive. Great deal. Nice all in one computer. A bit noisy is about the only thing on the negative side I could think of.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Hey does anyone know the release date for panther?

cuz it would b stupid to buy a computer now... and then have to upgrade to panther for another 129 bucks.

O ya someone said that the speakers on the eMac wer really bad.

So does anyone know if the JBL creatures are good?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Hey does anyone know the release date for panther?

cuz it would b stupid to buy a computer now... and then have to upgrade to panther for another 129 bucks.

October 24th, 8pm

Free (+ shipping) if you bought a Jaguar product after the 8th

So don't let Panther stop you
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Hey I donno how true this is... but both think secret and macrumors.com say that new eMacs (and iBooks) are in the pipeline.

Should I wait?

Im not in a hurry to rush out and buy a new computer.... yet

Ive waited about 1 year for a new comp(only 14 yrs old)

A few more months arn't going to hurt me.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Hey I donno how true this is... but both think secret and macrumors.com say that new eMacs (and iBooks) are in the pipeline.

Should I wait?

Im not in a hurry to rush out and buy a new computer.... yet

Ive waited about 1 year for a new comp(only 14 yrs old)

A few more months arn't going to hurt me.

.... Noone has any comments on a new eMac coming soon?

Or do alot of ppl know... but just don't care about the eMac?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    The next eMac update probably won't be very evolutionary. It should switch to the 7447, lose the L3, and clock up to 1.25GHz. It could stand to lose the old 133MHz bus... It and the iBook are the only machines left without Airport Extreme, so it could use that... Does it have USB 2.0 yet? I guess it could also get Bluetooth as a BTO option?

You'll notice there's a lot of "buy what you need, when you need it" on the boards... If you can stand to wait a few months and the current machines are woefully inadequate for your needs, then wait. If not, you're still getting a great machine that you won't regret buying.

(Kinda OT, but didn't this just cross the line into Future Hardware? )