CD -> iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
How do you guys transfer newly bought Cd's to your iPods?

I'm going to buy one, but I also buy alot of Cd's so I'm wondering how to transfer the cd's to it. Is it only possible by first ripping the cd to your hd, then transfering it using MM. Or is there some sort of prog that just does it automatically? I'm using a windows pc.

Thanks,

Sh0e

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, most of us are using Macs, and we use iTunes to rip the CD tracks, then transfer them to the iPod. In your case, you would rip them from MusicMatch and transfer them to the iPod. Same thing really. There should be an option (the default, no?) of having your iPod synchronize its music with the songs in MusicMatch automatically when you plug it in.

So, yeah, it'll take up HD space on your computer.

It's sort of like an automatic backup. It means you don't have to copy thousands of files at a time manually, you can use your computer and speakers as your home jukebox, and since it updates to reflect your music on your computer specifically, it's a way to prevent the iPod from being a portable copyright-breaking machine with other users' machines. (You can of course, still copy songs manually from another computer to your iPod, and of course, any stuff that's on your computer, legally obtained or not, will still go on your iPod. Anyway, the long and short of it is that Apple's just covering their legal butts.)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    So if it's on the iPod it has to be on the computer? Thus I can't rip a cd to my pc, then move it to iPod and delete it from PC?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

So if it's on the iPod it has to be on the computer? Thus I can't rip a cd to my pc, then move it to iPod and delete it from PC?

You can delete it from the PC once it's on the iPod, but one warning. Sometimes an iPod will go funky and you'll have to clean it off. If you don't have backups of your MP3s you've got to rip everything again. This is true of all important computer data though. Two copies of everything!

I live in constant fear that I'll have to re-rip my 1000+ CDs since I haven't even completely my whole library as of yet....
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ugh! 1,000 CD's! I had to re-rip 100 CD's and gave up. Used 3 computers networked together and sharing the same iTunes music folder. Still took a lot of time.

So yea, I'm a fan of backups but I would keep a copy of the MP3's on a hard drive I'm not using.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

I'm using a windows pc.

Thanks,

Sh0e

Well, theres your first problem. There is no way to do it directly to iPod. You have to go through your computer first. My advice would be to invest in a Mac. You'll never regret it. If for nothing else than iTunes. I've heard horrible things about MM. iTunes rules, Macs rule. Think of how amazing your iPod is, than think of your whole computer being that amazing. When you have changed your pants, go get a Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

When you have changed your pants, go get a Mac.

LOL ... I really did laugh when I read that
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I should also point out, at least in iTunes, that if you load a song onto your iPod and delete it from your HD, then it will be erased from your iPod the next time you sync it with the PC, unless you have the manual update option checked. Don't know if MM has this feature or not.

And yes, iPod HD do go funky and require a reset on rare occassions, so don't rely upon the iPod to store the lone copy of anything. Normally it's a minor deal to reset because syncing with the PC is so easy and quick.