Pismo screen distorts easily

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've noticed that if I move my Pismo while it's on, the screen turns funky colors and gadualy returns to its original state. I'm probably supposed to only grab the thing at the base but generally I move it using both the top and the bottom.

Is this normal for LCDs? Do they always distrot if you put any pressure on them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    They distort if you put pressure on or around them -- the amount of pressure = amount of distortion.

The symptoms you're having on your Pismo are probably uncommon. I've had mine over a year and it's been fine. (Knock on wood)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    katekate Posts: 172member
    According to my observation this seems pretty normal. My company had about a dozen TFTs for review here and I'd say nine out of ten show distortion or ripples when exposed to small pressure or light shock.

Keep in mind that the L in LCD means Liquid, the crystals are embedded in a gel like liquid, that allows them to move dependant on the electric field around them. So a little sensitivity when exposed to mechanical stress is natural.

However, if you find yours to be way out of that it could be good to bring it in for inspection. But usually TFTs undergo a strict quality control since the share of dysfunctional ones of a given batch can be around twenty per cent.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Yep it's normal if you apply sufficient pressure.