Web Mail

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, I just chose www.24hostingnow.com as the host to my domain name. When setting up email, they offer the choices of NeoMail, horde and SquirrelMail. Which should I select & why (even though I intend to use Apple's Mail application)?

Thanks from newbie to web sites, Billy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

Hello, I just chose www.24hostingnow.com as the host to my domain name. When setting up email, they offer the choices of NeoMail, horde and SquirrelMail. Which should I select & why (even though I intend to use Apple's Mail application)?

Thanks from newbie to web sites, Billy

I have no experience with NeoMail, but SquirrelMail blows the doors, hinges and all, off of Horde. I used to have SquirrelMail installed on my server and absolutely loved it - feature set is fantastic. Horde is the red-headed stepchild of SquirrelMail: feature set = teh crAp.

FWIW SquirrelMail is the default webmail app built into OS X Server (but it is open source so you can install it on anything).

Webmail is really handy for when you are on the road - I really miss SquirrelMail (I sold my server and am using a hosting company which uses ISP and Horde for webmail. I hate both since coming from the Squirrel).

Do yourself a favor - get the Squirrel!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I am having one HELL of a time getting Squirrel to work on my osx server box. I have the conf.pl file configured for the domain, and can access the web mail part (php), but when I run the webmail and it asks me for a user name and password, it doesnt recognise my user name. Is there something in the domain manager section under osx server that is not allowing my users to have email access even though it says they do?

Any help/comments would be great!

Thanks

Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

I have no experience with NeoMail, but SquirrelMail blows the doors, hinges and all, off of Horde. I used to have SquirrelMail installed on my server and absolutely loved it - feature set is fantastic. Horde is the red-headed stepchild of SquirrelMail: feature set = teh crAp.

FWIW SquirrelMail is the default webmail app built into OS X Server (but it is open source so you can install it on anything).

Webmail is really handy for when you are on the road - I really miss SquirrelMail (I sold my server and am using a hosting company which uses ISP and Horde for webmail. I hate both since coming from the Squirrel).

Do yourself a favor - get the Squirrel!

• Reply 3 of 4
    Is your user set up for IMAP mail? I can't remember exactly where that is in the GUI - it has been a LONG time since I used OS X server (10.1) - I set up my server on vanilla OS X using PostOffice for mail and SquirrelMail as my webmail client. They didn't have SquirrelMail in the package until 10.2 I don't believe...

Not sure how much help I can be :
  • Reply 4 of 4
    You helped a lot! Your idea of making sure IMAP was on did the trick! Thank You so much!

take care

Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

Is your user set up for IMAP mail? I can't remember exactly where that is in the GUI - it has been a LONG time since I used OS X server (10.1) - I set up my server on vanilla OS X using PostOffice for mail and SquirrelMail as my webmail client. They didn't have SquirrelMail in the package until 10.2 I don't believe...

Not sure how much help I can be :