Icon stealing?!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok little bit dramatic title but my question is this, is there any way to tell for SURE if one icon is the same as the other. When the first version of DVD2One came out they didn't have a good looking folder icon so I made one and recently noticed they are using one that looks similar to mine. It seems to be perfect down to every pixel, but is there any way to tell definitively? I didn't want anything for it, perhaps just recognition or at least the knowledge that they are using my icon. Before I email them and ask...is there any way to tell?

haha well I emailed him so I guess we'll find out.

If all the histogram information matches, does that mean it is the same?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Post 'em both up, let's have a look see.

• Reply 2 of 14
    Yah... let us see the difference
  • Reply 3 of 14
    My curiosity is at its peak, please post before I blow.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ok I will post them in second. I will post a picture of both of them in png full quality. I am getting the icon in it's full splender using iconography.

Here it is...them (aka me):

Here is me:

Look at them and blow them up if you want, pixel by pixel i couldn't tell a difference, maybe you can spot it.

My PSD I made it with. My icon isn't original, but it looks good

http://home.ptd.net/~quadd/DVD2One.psd

Haha although I'd love for my name to be mentioned somewhere with such a wonderful program I'd just like to know.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    They look the same; at least in the way you are presenting them.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    The things that stick out most are the little blue blip in the upper right hand corner of the front of the folder and the fact that the X isn't perfectly in the folder, it kinda goes off. It has to be mine or else why would they make an error EXACTLY like mine?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    In my professional opinion, yes, it's probably a version of one you supplied them.

I base this on the fact that - now, don't take offense, but they are both equally, identically poorly-done. By poorly-done I mean that the transformation you applied isn't "correct", in terms of perspective.

An application such as CanCombineIcons has the ability to properly align icons onto other icons, including filters to distort icons to match the perspective of Apple's folder icons.

Doing this correctly by hand is not impossible. But the likelihood that they incorrectly distorted the perspective identically to yours is very low. Plus you've claimed to have been in contact with them, when sending a copy of the icon to them.

Maybe they figured 1. the folder icon is stock, 2. the logo is theirs 3. your icon submission was unsolicited, and that you applying a manual transform on their logo wasn't enough to give you props?

Don't read that as harsh. Read a dry Mr. Spock tone. Just my assessment,

Anyway CanCombineIcons rules. You are doing more work than necessary
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

In my professional opinion, yes, it's probably a version of one you supplied them.

I base this on the fact that - now, don't take offense, but they are both equally, identically poorly-done. By poorly-done I mean that the transformation you applied isn't "correct", in terms of perspective.

An application such as CanCombineIcons has the ability to properly align icons onto other icons, including filters to distort icons to match the perspective of Apple's folder icons.

Doing this correctly by hand is not impossible. But the likelihood that they incorrectly distorted the perspective identically to yours is very low. Plus you've claimed to have been in contact with them, when sending a copy of the icon to them.

Maybe they figured 1. the folder icon is stock, 2. the logo is theirs 3. your icon submission was unsolicited, and that you applying a manual transform on their logo wasn't enough to give you props?

Don't read that as harsh. Read a dry Mr. Spock tone. Just my assessment,

Anyway CanCombineIcons rules. You are doing more work than necessary

No I agree, I didn't put any time into making the proportions correct. But I didn't like how it looked when the right side was too small. I just wanted to display the DVD2One icon so that I could find it easily in my applications folder (I make icons for folders without icons.) I don't really need props, just knowledge that they are using my crappy icon!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Well I give you kudos for standing up to my criticism

So rare on the internet these days.

Oh what a flame war it could have been....

alas....

• Reply 10 of 14
    Perspective transforms are best done by entering in numbers, not merely dragging the marquee handles.

For instance, a decent transform for fitting things on a Finder folder would be done by selecting the badge icon and merely typing -13 into the Vertical Skew input box. Then, with Maintain Aspect Ration checked, type 80% for Width and Height values.

I know this from having done similar things to de-distort building exteriors to correct for lens distortion.....many times.

Need a bigger lens
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Perspective transforms are best done by entering in numbers, not merely dragging the marquee handles.

For instance, a decent transform for fitting things on a Finder folder would be done by selecting the badge icon and merely typing -13 into the Horizontal Skew input box. Then, with Maintain Aspect Ration checked, type 80% for Width and Height values.

I know this from having done similar things to de-distort building exteriors to correct for lens distortion.....many times.

Need a bigger lens

I just measured and got 13.5
  • Reply 12 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Use the classic technique of digital subtraction to tell of they are the same. I think Photoshop can do some image subtraction. If the result is an almost black image then it's the same.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Sorry, I meant: "Vertical Skew" above. (Edited above)

V: -13

• Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Use the classic technique of digital subtraction to tell of they are the same. I think Photoshop can do some image subtraction. If the result is an almost black image then it's the same.

Yes, that would be done by having A and B images on their own layers, then set the Layer Mode to the topmost layer to "Difference".

This should look 100% black if they are identical. Otherwise minute variations will pop out.