Drudge: SCHWARZENEGGER WINS BIG (10:02 p.m.)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Exit Polls: 59% "YES" on recall. Schwarzenegger 51%

Bustamante 30%. MClintock 13%

Comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Your signature is fitting as a first comment to the vote.
  • Reply 2 of 143
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Well, I think that sucks. Who wants to bet the Recall will be Recalled?
  • Reply 3 of 143
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    just curious tonton, why is it scary?
  • Reply 4 of 143
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    um, sdw, what are you talking about??? cnn.com reports nothing, and drudge.com (if that can even be considered a reliable source) reports the following:

ARN. SCHWARZENEGGER

31.52%

CRUZ BUSTAMANTE

32.48%

TOM McCLINTOCK

13.61%

PETER CAMEJO

5.39%

GARY COLEMAN

14.39%

LARRY FLYNT

3.12%

last i checked, 32.48% is HIGHER than 31.52%.

color me seriously confused.

(i am kinda amazed that gary coleman is getting close to a million votes)
  • Reply 5 of 143
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Tonton and I went into it a while ago. Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't like Terminators physical policies.

Davis's was tax high, spend high, business is an ATM with no daily limit and ignore real problems.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

um, sdw, what are you talking about??? cnn.com reports nothing, and drudge.com (if that can even be considered a reliable source) reports the following:

www.drudgereport.com

not

www.drudge.com
  • Reply 7 of 143
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

ARN. SCHWARZENEGGER

31.52%

CRUZ BUSTAMANTE

32.48%

TOM McCLINTOCK

13.61%

PETER CAMEJO

5.39%

GARY COLEMAN

14.39%

LARRY FLYNT

3.12%

last i checked, 32.48% is HIGHER than 31.52%.

color me seriously confused.

(i am kinda amazed that gary coleman is getting close to a million votes)

That is great if true! The only person people should elect is Gary Coleman! Only in Cali!
  • Reply 8 of 143
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

www.drudgereport.com

not

www.drudge.com

ah, thanks for the clarification. hadn't heard of either of them, so i wasn't sure where to go.
  • Reply 9 of 143
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

www.drudgereport.com

not

www.drudge.com

I was wondering what the hell he was talking about.
  • Reply 10 of 143
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I was considering going back to Cali (to Cali, to Cali) but now it's like, "No, I don't think so". At least until I see how he does.

What are you saying here? What is it that you are so very concerned about with the prospect of Arnold being in and Davis out?

Please explain your viewpoint.

Fellows
  • Reply 11 of 143
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well I join the "circus" as it were!

Voted yes on the recall and voted for Tom McClintock.

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 143
    Quote:

LOL! It hink that's fiscal, but uh, yeah. ....

Uh yea. Brain fart on my part
  • Reply 13 of 143
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Schwartzman must have gotten all his votes because it looks sorta like Schwarzenegger... See below...

http://vote2003.ss.ca.gov/Returns/summary.html
  • Reply 14 of 143
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    looks like arnold is going to destroy anyone on this. at least he has a shot of getting over 50% of the vote, which to me is amazing considering how many canidates there were.
  • Reply 15 of 143
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Schwartzman must have gotten all his votes because it looks sorta like Schwarzenegger... See below...

http://vote2003.ss.ca.gov/Returns/summary.html

I wonder if Schwartzman admires Hitler as much as Schwarzenegger.
  • Reply 16 of 143
    Quote:

We already knew who the illiterates were intending to vote for. This just confirms it.

/me applies litmus paper to tonton

Yup, very high pH...very bitter.

It actually means Arnold's not getting as many votes as he should!
  • Reply 17 of 143
    Dems should be happy for Arnold. It's very unlikely he'll be able to turn California around by 2004, and he'll of course be branded a failure. California will stay Democrat for sure and Bush will be gone.

With Davis in office through 2004, California could swing Republican and >50 electoral votes would go to Dubya.
  • Reply 18 of 143
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

looks like arnold is going to destroy anyone on this. at least he has a shot of getting over 50% of the vote, which to me is amazing considering how many canidates there were.

I have to agree. I wouldn't want to use the word "mandate" but with over 50% he would have won a general election with a majority.
  • Reply 19 of 143
    To counter the illusion that this recall is somehow a right-wing conspiracy to steal an election (which is a load of crap), let me point out that I voted for Gray Davis in the last election, as well as the Green Party candidate for lieutenant governor. So, I'm far from right-wing. Personally, I'd consider myself moderate, since I'm a fiscal conservative.

I am one of the angry moderate voters who cast my ballot to recall Davis, and I voted for Schwarzneggar to replace him. If the exit polls are to be believed, I'm a very happy man right now.

Davis was a whore for special interests, lied about the size of the state deficit, and has signed some dangerous bills into law in the last few days in a desperate, failed grab for votes.

Knock Arnold all you want, but I've spent time examining his positions on various issues, and he couldn't be closer to home for me. He's fiscally conservative, but socially progressive on issues such as gay rights, abortion and the environment, the latter of which places him even further left than Davis.

Someone who has shot to the top of two separate careers is by no means stupid. Arnold has good advisors, and his charisma and passion for the job is a refreshing change. Even if he fails to accomplish more than 3 of the 10 initiatives he has promised to undertake, at least he's going to *try* to move California back in the proper direction.

A few observations from the heart of Los Angeles:

1. Once the ballots are counted and examined, this recall will show a large majority of moderate Democrats played a significant role in Davis' downfall, countering the "right wing conspiracy" theory.

2. The Los Angeles Times has crippled any credibility it ever had on covering political issues with its "October Surprise" against Arnold, which clearly backfired. When you have the L.A. Weekly--an extremely far-left alternative paper who picked Arianna Huffington as their candidate of choice--exposing the bias and connections to Democratic party machinery inherent in the allegations against Arnold, you can't get any more damning than that.

3. Religious right voters may have voted themselves into irrelevancy with this recall election. Arnold has proven that a moderate Republican is the only kind that can win in this state, and this thinking may extend nationally. Even with Tom McClintock in the race as a spoiler, Arnold may still get more than 50 percent of the vote. The Republican party nationally may see this as a bellwhether event, which may finally loosen the death grip that the religious right had on the party. This would please me greatly if this happens.

This recall is definitely an historic event that will be studied for many years to come.

GTSC
  • Reply 20 of 143
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

But there's some concern about his ability to see things from the perspective of people outside his circle, like the poor and underpriveleged, the gay community (he openly called them fags back in the 70's), underpriveleged immigrants (inlcuding illegals), etc. Hopefully that's where Maria will step in with some guidance.

a lot of people openly called gays fags in the 70s. a lot of people still do. i dont think that is any reason to judge his abilities and qualifications for governor though.