Just finished an incredible book.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's been out a few years, but if you haven't read

Atomised by Michel Houellebecq

read it now.

Edit: The alternate title is "The Elementary Particles" and in French, "Les Particules Élémentaires"

Wow. What a statement on humanity, the self-will that defines us and our progress toward self-redundancy. Anyone here already read it and care to discuss? Powerdoc, I assume it is even more compelling in its native French.

Obvious parallels are made to Aldous Huxley, and Huxley aficianados won't be disappointed. In fact, I think Houellebecq out-Huxleys Huxley.

Warning: the book is quite raunchy for those squeamish about sex. There are a few extremely violent passages as well. It's difficult to read this book in public without wondering if someone is looking over your shoulder thinking you're a pervert.

This is absolutely a thinker's book. Those who are not philosophers will probably only retain the sex and violence in the text. This is precisely why this novel created such an uproar in France. But there is so much more here, and the explicit passages are central to the point as it relates to humanity in its darkest form. This is counterbalanced by sad, touching passages noting deep love, loneliness and periodic moments of relative happiness often ending in grief.

Reading Houellebecq's short biography on this site, it's amazing how much he drew from his own life experiences to create his masterpiece. What a sad life indeed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I read it a couple of years ago. I remember the book, though fascinating me, depressing me too. Houellebecq apparently sees no place for a healthy sex life in anyone's life. All that's possible is a kind of hounding for poon-tang, or silent, monk-like ascesis with the occasional masturbatory caesura. Is it that darn Freudian fatherly law that will disallow us forever to incorporate sex in a natural way?

It may not be the all-important issue of the book (though it's certainly one of the issues), but it certainly sets the tone for the rest of the book. Houellebecq dabbles in misanthropy, which is not bad in itself, but it creates a lethal mental cocktail when mixed with my own misanthropy.

And why is it not possible for anyone to find happiness? Death & paralysis are two of the things I remember. Are we really nothing but desirous machines, running around chasing our own tail lusting after something, anything? (I'd answer yes, but is that what the becq wants to say?) It's been two years though.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

It's been out a few years, but if you haven't read

Atomised by Michel Houellebecq

read it now.

Edit: The alternate title is "The Elementary Particles" and in French, "Les Particules Élémentaires"

Wow. What a statement on humanity, the self-will that defines us and our progress toward self-redundancy. Anyone here already read it and care to discuss? Powerdoc, I assume it is even more compelling in its native French.

Obvious parallels are made to Aldous Huxley, and Huxley aficianados won't be disappointed. In fact, I think Houellebecq out-Huxleys Huxley.

Warning: the book is quite raunchy for those squeamish about sex. There are a few extremely violent passages as well. It's difficult to read this book in public without wondering if someone is looking over your shoulder thinking you're a pervert.

This is absolutely a thinker's book. Those who are not philosophers will probably only retain the sex and violence in the text. This is precisely why this novel created such an uproar in France. But there is so much more here, and the explicit passages are central to the point as it relates to humanity in its darkest form. This is counterbalanced by sad, touching passages noting deep love, loneliness and periodic moments of relative happiness often ending in grief.

Reading Houellebecq's short biography on this site, it's amazing how much he drew from his own life experiences to create his masterpiece. What a sad life indeed.

Sorry i did not read his book. In fact it's a shame, but i do not read much this last years : perhaps too much time chatting here ...

I confirm there where a great poll about his book in France. I have no advice because i did not read his book.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I lost interest in Houellebecq with his 'Islam is the stupidest of religions' remark which I think is (possibly) one of the stupidest remarks I have heard anyone make. It is not the remark of a philosopher (which he aspires to be) nor is it the remark of someone interested in truth which is a subject he also mentions a lot.

Seems like a Rushdie-esque shock tactic to me which is a bit sad because Houellebecq is certainly a better writer than Rushdie and should not need to stopp to this level. I would prefer a Bret Easton Ellis to a Houellebecq any day - Ellis is describing society where you always get the impression Houellebecq is describing himself (which he in fact is)> he seems like a broken and sad disappointed man to me which is understandable given his history I suppose.

You should read Schopenhauer on Islam . . . its funny