Panther on an iBook?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Have any of you developers with Panther run it on an iBook 800 with the 32 meg card and 384 megs of RAM? Was there any performance increase like the G4 based machines? I'm considering the "family pack" to cheaply upgrade my girlfriend's iBook and am wondering if it's worth the extra $70.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yes, there are optimizations all around regardless of what processor you use.

And this belongs in the Mac OS X forum, not Software.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Ran great on an iBook 700, but that was via an external Firewire drive, which was 7200 RPM. Not sure about it directly on an iBook with a standard drive. I imagine it's just fine if not great.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Yes, there are optimizations all around regardless of what processor you use.

And this belongs in the Mac OS X forum, not Software.

Doh!... teach me to post in a hurry... I thought I WAS in OS X... Thanks for the move and the info.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    installed on iBook 600MHz, 8MB vram, 384MB ram.

Runs better than Jag for sure. Not huge OS differences, but definetly faster. Preview doesnt take forever to open, PDFs open as quickly as they should, the dynamic search is actually pretty quick, etc.

Aside from qwirks here and there, 9/10 upgrade. Hopefully the 10.3.1 update will iron out user feedback.

ZO