Panther: Home on iPod feature?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/mobility/

Home away from home

Ever thought you could carry your home in the palm of your hands or in your pocket? You can. Panther's Home on iPod feature lets you store your home directory ? files, folders, apps ? on your iPod (or any FireWire hard drive) and take it with you wherever you go. When you find yourself near a Panther-equipped Mac, just plug in the iPod, log in, and you?re ?home,? no matter where you happen to be. And when you return to your home computer, you can synchronize any changes you?ve made to your files by using File Sync, which automatically updates offline changes to your home directory.

Anyone have any idea how this works? I've seen no evidence of this in the Panther betas.

John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    johnpgjohnpg Posts: 37member
    Looks like it's the same technology used for the iDisk syncing. This could turn out to be really cool.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/FileSync

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Resources

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/FileSync

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Generic.rtf

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Library.rtf

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Software.rtf

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/iDiskGenericIcon.icns

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/iDiskOfflineIcon.icns

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/iDiskOnlineIcon.icns

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/iDiskSyncingIcon.icns

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileSync.framework/Versions/Current
  • Reply 2 of 13
    im using 7b85 and i see no mention of file sync or home on ipod, wierd
  • Reply 3 of 13
    johnpgjohnpg Posts: 37member
    Looks like MirrorAgent has some references to the home directory:

$ strings MirrorAgent |grep -i home |more

Agent/home.c

home

inithome

outHome

inithomewithhome

inHome

checkHomeSupportsSymlinks

acquirehome

home->refcount >= 0

releasehome

Home "

verifyMirrorHomes

AcquireHomesForMirrorPair

ReleaseHomesForMirrorPair

home_alias

home_hasFingerprintFile

pkhome

packhome

pkhome != nil

unpackhome

home->alias

allocmirrorwithhome

isHomeDirectory

SFMirrorHomeDirectory

HOME
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Dam. I am really trying to resist buying an iPod until next year and every day Apple give me a reason to buy one now!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I must be going insane.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    The mention of this feature has been pulled from the page. The guy who leaked the G5 info must still be working there.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    That is so weird. It was their just an hour ago when I looked. Very spooky!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Maybe its a feature that requires an iPod software update and the update isn't ready. Or maybe it slipped into 10.4.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    nooooo. dammit that would be so freakin cool, i hope it hasnt been permanentally cut off of the list. i see absolutely no reference to it at all in panther GM except for the frameworks. perhaps this filesync app is still being completed and will be released later like isync or something.

[edit]

i searched for any other references in the forums to "file sync" and there is apparently one in the 27+page panther thread, but it dosent say specifically where it is, just that its in there. does anyone know where it was being talked about in there?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    heres somthing else i noticed that is not in 7b85:

im noticing specifically the option to store your home dir. on a diff drive entirely. this would be a very nifty feature because i shudder everytime i mess around with netinfo
  • Reply 11 of 13
    That screenshot is from a much older build -- note how it still has the old System Preferences icon, the old lock button, the +/- buttons are distorted, "Desktop" still exists as a prefs pane, "Display" is missing a trailing 's', and some of the fonts are wrong. I'm starting to believe this was pulled from the GM (and earlier builds even) for some reason and may possibly be reintroduced in a 10.3.x update.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I noticed also that when they deleted the feature from the webpage they also changed the network preferences screen capture so that it displayed on 4 network connectons (2 connected and 2 disconnected) rather than the 5 it had previously.

Maybee the home on ipod/sync feature will apear in 10.3.1?

I know it is using a rumour to substantiate a rumour but perhaps the Think Secret rumour about iPod software update may be what is holding back this feature in Panther. That would make sense.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/ipodappleexpo2.html
  • Reply 13 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

heres somthing else i noticed that is not in 7b85:

im noticing specifically the option to store your home dir. on a diff drive entirely. this would be a very nifty feature because i shudder everytime i mess around with netinfo

Sadly, on 7b85 at least, the option for "where to store Home dir" is not available