AWSOME!!! iPod stuff

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
One reader (johnpg) notes a previously unadvertised feature of Panther which was detailed on Apple's Mac OS X mobility page called "Home on iPod". (the description has since been removed)

Home away from home

Ever thought you could carry your home in the palm of your hands or in your pocket? You can. Panther's Home on iPod feature lets you store your home directory ? files, folders, apps ? on your iPod (or any FireWire hard drive) and take it with you wherever you go. When you find yourself near a Panther-equipped Mac, just plug in the iPod, log in, and you?re ?home,? no matter where you happen to be. And when you return to your home computer, you can synchronize any changes you?ve made to your files by using File Sync, which automatically updates offline changes to your home directory.

While this feature is reportedly not in the latest version of Panther (build 7B85), it was first mentioned in this eWeek article in April which provided some of the first hints of Panther. According to eWeek's sources at that time, "one proposed feature will let users take home directories they've saved on peripherals and networks and use them for file access or securely log into a Mac running Panther."

So the iPod is kinda like a firewire harddrive now...

I don't know how true this is... but if it is... THAT WILL ROCK! any comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    What do you mean kinda, iPod has always functioned as an extrenal HD...or I think at least. It has for a while I know.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

What do you mean kinda, iPod has always functioned as an extrenal HD...or I think at least. It has for a while I know.

Ive never heard of it doing anything like that b4.

The iPod is an MP3 player not a firewire drive...right? but now there adding that feature.... I think
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The iPod has ALWAYS been able to work as a Firewire hard drive.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    The iPod has always been able to function as a Firewire hard drive.

Now whether this new Home feature exists, or if it makes it simpler to use on another machine somehow, is a different story.

iPod discussion also belongs in Digital Hub... moving now.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    someone remember Pal?

• Reply 6 of 13
    its a feature of panther that didnt make the cut apparently, it works in a similar way to the way the idisk sync does. im running 7b85(gm) and i see no reference to this feature at all
  • Reply 7 of 13
    yeah dude, where ya been?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I think this would be a great feature...but my only concern is this: I know iPods COULD be used as your garden variety FW HD before, but I was under the impression that Apple discouraged this practice because the drive mechanism wasn't robust enough to be spinning all the time like a boot disk typically does. Normally, the iPod drive just spins up to load some songs into memory and then powers down until its time to load more.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    the other prob with using the ipod as a fw hd is heat dissapation. do alot of file transfers and that little thing doubles as a handwarmer on a cold day.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

the other prob with using the ipod as a fw hd is heat dissapation. do alot of file transfers and that little thing doubles as a handwarmer on a cold day.

I like this, also nice and warm after charing to stick in your coat pocket!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

I think this would be a great feature...but my only concern is this: I know iPods COULD be used as your garden variety FW HD before, but I was under the impression that Apple discouraged this practice because the drive mechanism wasn't robust enough to be spinning all the time like a boot disk typically does. Normally, the iPod drive just spins up to load some songs into memory and then powers down until its time to load more.

DING DING DING! Correct.

Always possible. Never officially recommended

I seem to recall some XServe promo blurb that its front FW port allowed "booting even from iPod"

next time i checked it had been changed to "booting from external FW device" or "FW drive"

works the drive harder than it should.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Well, there are other concerns - iPods are pretty stealable objects and I'm not sure I'd want my home directory on one without some sort of encryption.

FileVault sorts that problem.