PocketMac 3.0

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
[n.b. - I'm a long time AI poster making a change, so please don't count this as spam because the following message is a ringing endorsement for the product. I'm sure Brad, Amorph or Jonathan can verify my identity if there's any doubt. ]

This is from my blog entry:

Quote:

Back when I first tried this PPC thing with my Mac, there were only 2 solutions: VPC or PocketMac v.2. The price of PM v.2 was prohibitive and I had VPC, so I decided to use that for a while. But as iCal progressed, I started to want to use it more. So, I looked into the PM demo. My experiences with that software were extremely BAD and I've already spent a great deal of time and energy talking about it, so I won't go into it further.

Suffice it to say that PM has made some significant strides since that time and it is unfair to even put PM v.2 and PM v.3 in the same category. Really the only similarity between the two is the name. I bought PM v.3 when they offered an extremely generous discount to previous users. I bought it yesterday and installed it promptly. Getting it set up was a piece of cake and I'm very impressed with the software thus far.

Some highlights include easy Internet passthrough via bluetooth or USB (and I suspect through 802.11b but I haven't had the chance to test that out yet). Quick syncing with iCal and Addressbook with categories remaining intact - something that even the iSync Palm conduit couldn't do. Avantgo synchronization. iTunes and iPhoto synchronization through the use of playlists and albums respectively. All of this is automatic if you choose to sync all items. You can also choose to sync individual things through the PM menu item.

Some Benefits:

The first sync when smoothly, but duplicated my entries. I don't know if that was a problem in my iCal from when I rebuilt my calendar on my PPC or not. I suspect it was because my contacts did not duplicate. To my surprise, even my categories synced.

Avantgo installed easily, and it updates smoothly. This stuff is all great, but it's as you'd expect. Other stuff that was extremely pleasant to discover:

1) Internet passthrough took absolutely no setup. Once I connected to my Mac from my PPC, it was all set. And it works without difficulty, both through BT and through USB

2) iTunes integration. The setup asks you if you want to make a playlist called "PocketMac Mobile Tunes" and it creates it for you. I'd imagine that you can make this playlist a smart playlist and have all the benefits of iTunes' great playlist management at your finger tips.

3) iPhoto integration. Again, the setup program asks if you want to sync your PPC with iPhoto and if you say yes, it creates an album which is automatically synced.

4) The preferences are very thorough. Every conceivable thing is right there. Very nice.

Overall, I'd have to give PM v.3 some really high marks for functionality. There are many features that I haven't tried out yet, like PocketWord and PocketExcel Readers. I'll post more about those as opportunities arise to use them.

I want to reiterate the statement that PM3 and PM2 should not be associated with one another in anyway. If I were them, I would have changed the name entirely to avoid any association between the two. It's that much better.

I've also been trying out the Missing Sync (I bought both to see what I like more) and so far, PM3 is the better product.

If you're thinking about getting a PPC and you're concerned about using it with your Mac, the obstacles recently got significantly smaller.