Staring at my new dual... Wait for Panther?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Do I install Jaguar from the enclosed discs or just wait 14 days for PANTHER? Can't decide...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Install Jaguar. Get your up-to-date CDs to upgrade to Panther for $20. Modify up-to-date CDs so they can do a full install. Do a clean or archive install of Panther. Or just do an upgrade install from Jaguar to Panther if you don't feel like modifying your discs.

But whatever you do, don't let an awesome machine like that just sit there, unused, for two weeks!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peerpee

Do I install Jaguar from the enclosed discs or just wait 14 days for PANTHER? Can't decide...

The fun of having a mac is doing a clean install of a better OS periodically. But you don't have to upgrade to Panther if you don't think you need the additional 30% performance boost.

Just install only your neccessary apps on Jag for now and "mess around" for two weeks. Then get serious and install Panther.

I installed most my apps so I can play/work but once Panther gets here, I'm doing it all over again.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You waited this long to get a duallie, and you'd actually let it sit there for 2 weeks unused?

You are quite insane.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Doesn't your dual already have Jaguar installed right out of the box? Mine did. AFAIK unless something's badly wrong any Apple computer ships with the latest, or at least close to the latest, OS already installed. Have you just been staring at the G5 for a while, afraid to plug it in?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Doesn't your dual already have Jaguar installed right out of the box? Mine did. AFAIK unless something's badly wrong any Apple computer ships with the latest, or at least close to the latest, OS already installed. Have you just been staring at the G5 for a while, afraid to plug it in?

this is what I don't understand either
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Question from the uninitiated:

I too have a shiny new G5 (granted a 1.8, not dualie) and have installed FCP4, the primary app. that I'll be working with. I just pre-ordered Panther for $20.

Is it suggested that, after I install Panther, I reinstall FCP4 (and MS Office or any other added app for that matter)?

If so, why?

Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Macs outside of the USA don't come preinstalled.

[Other countries don't use dollars either. It's mad ain't it? Some countries even abhor the American Dream!]
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Canadian ones come pre-installed...

HA-HA!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

!!what!! thats crazy!! I had no idea. Whats the reason? to save money on weird taxes or some weird laws.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I think it's because there's so many different languages in Europe and Asia that it's best if they let the consumer configure it. But it takes about 40 mins usually (I once spent 4hrs installing software on a new Powermac 8200/120).
  • Reply 11 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

As a Canadian AI-er has pointed out, some non-US buyers also get pre-installation too. However, it was indeed news to me that pre-installation of the OS isn't done everywhere.

Quote:

[Other countries don't use dollars either. It's mad ain't it? Some countries even abhor the American Dream!]

This much wasn't news to me. You Brits eat weird things too.

Quote:

I think it's because there's so many different languages in Europe and Asia that it's best if they let the consumer configure it.

Since language support for many countries is installed by default, and since the first-time start-up procedure prompts you for a language choice, keyboard config, etc., I can't see this as the reason not to pre-install the OS. I'd be more inclined to think there must be some weird legal/tax/license issues.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Not to be a pest, but I think my question may have gotten lost in the thread--

should I reinstall FCP4 after I install Panther, and if so, why? Thanks again.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    absolutely no reason to re-install your apps after an OS upgrade.

NeilyB
  • Reply 14 of 21
    It depends on if you do a clean install or not.

If you do a clean install, yes, you have to reinstall FCP4 and any other app that isn't on the OS CD.

If you don't, and do the upgrade install, then no, you don't have to reinstall FCP4
  • Reply 15 of 21
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OSXaddict

It depends on if you do a clean install or not.

If you do a clean install, yes, you have to reinstall FCP4 and any other app that isn't on the OS CD.

If you don't, and do the upgrade install, then no, you don't have to reinstall FCP4

That's not true at all. We're talking about the Mac here, not Windows. Windows applications spread DLLs all over the place, which means you may as well format your drive and start over when Windows dies. On OS X, most third party applications install with a drag and drop of one application package. Such applications shouldn't require reinstalls, because they haven't placed anything important deep inside the OS. (OS X is even better than the classic Mac OS in this regard since it enforces permissions based rules that confine most application support files to outside of the core system.) The only applications a person really needs to be concerned about are those installed by the Apple Installer. And basically Apple's the only developer that uses the Installer.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    So what's the concensus? Is FCP4 an Apple product that uses an Apple installer?

Also, what's the difference b/t a clean install and an upgrade? Is one preferred over the other? I'm running Jaguar on my G5 (obviously), so is my only option to upgrade rather than clean install?

Thanks again, gang!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    "Clean Install" refers to totally wiping your harddrive (erasing it), and installing the OS on the freshly erased HD.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Macs in New Zealand, Australia and the UK come with the OS pre-installed.

Dredd
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Is it better to clean install or to upgrade?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

"Clean Install" refers to totally wiping your harddrive (erasing it), and installing the OS on the freshly erased HD.

Under OS 9 a clean install renamed the System Folder to something like Previous System Folder and then reinstalled the OS. So many of us still think that way when we read "clean install".