AC adaptor Problems with ibook 800

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have had a serious problem with my ibook's AC adaptor, it wouldn't charge the battery or run the ibook on AC power. My local Apple dealer was great about getting me a replacement adaptor overnight (he even charged my ibook up fully so I could use it in class that night!), but I am afraid that this adaptor will ultimately fail like the last one. My dealer said that the plug itself is what went bad, and he had seen about 30 other ibooks with the same issue. Seeing as I bought this ibook in January, is 10 months about the average life expectancy of the ibook adaptor? Do any of you Mac veterans know of a better 3rd party adaptor for ibooks?

Thanks for any help in advance

Tim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Computer_Science_student_GA

I have had a serious problem with my ibook's AC adaptor, it wouldn't charge the battery or run the ibook on AC power. My local Apple dealer was great about getting me a replacement adaptor overnight (he even charged my ibook up fully so I could use it in class that night!), but I am afraid that this adaptor will ultimately fail like the last one. My dealer said that the plug itself is what went bad, and he had seen about 30 other ibooks with the same issue. Seeing as I bought this ibook in January, is 10 months about the average life expectancy of the ibook adaptor? Do any of you Mac veterans know of a better 3rd party adaptor for ibooks?

Thanks for any help in advance

Tim

I don't know why Apple seems to have trouble making durable AC adapters, but I had to have my AC adapter replaced for my first PowerBook back in the 90s after only a year and a half of use. After I upgraded to a new PowerBook in 2000, I had 2 AC adapters (yo-yo style) break on my second PowerBook between 2000 and 2002. Two AC adapter failures in two years is just unacceptable.

I finally ended up buying a 3rd-party AC adapter that works with my PowerBook ... and is MUCH more durable.

I just think that Apple is more concerned about making AC adapters that look cool (particularly recently) than AC adapters that can take punishment from being carried around to different locations.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    obieobie Posts: 11member
    If you don't mind me asking, who is the manufacturer of your 3rd party adapter?