MS to overhaul Windows to fight hackers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
CNN Story

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Stung by criticism over lax software security, Microsoft Corp. disclosed plans Thursday to update its flagship Windows operating systems early in 2004 to make consumers less vulnerable to hackers.

Microsoft said the changes, announced by chief executive Steve Ballmer during a trade conference in New Orleans, will be offered free in the next "service pack" update to users of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 software, the company's latest versions for consumers and businesses.

The announcement was aimed at calming Microsoft customers increasingly irritated by the ease with which hackers and others have broken into Windows computers. Adequately protecting an average personal computer can take far more time than many customers are willing to spend.

Better memory protection

Microsoft promised to improve the way in which Windows manages computer memory to protect users against commonly exploited software flaws known as buffer overruns, which can trick Windows into accepting dangerous commands. Some of the most damaging attacks in recent months fall under this category.

The company promised to improve its built-in firewall feature, which has drawn criticism in the past because it was not especially strong and was routinely turned off in new copies of Windows. The update will automatically turn on the updated firewall and enable companies to centrally manage each computer's protective settings.

"Our goal is simple," Ballmer said. "Get our customers secure and keep them secure. Our commitment is to protect our customers from the growing wave of criminal attacks."

Keeping up with the patches

The changes were designed to improve security even for customers who fail to diligently apply the dozens of repairing software "patches" Microsoft offers each year.

For example, even computer users who did not install a protective patch for the "Blaster" virus this summer would have been protected if they had known to turn on Windows' built-in firewall, said Mike Nash, a vice president for Microsoft's security business unit.

"We can have a shield in place where we can make sure the customer is immune," Nash said.

Critics have said Microsoft releases far too many patches, which frustrate employees responsible for installing them on hundreds of computers throughout companies and which can interfere with other programs already installed.

"Microsoft treats security problems like public-relations problems," said Bruce Schneier, the chief technology officer for Counterpane Internet Security Inc. and a frequent critic of the company.

Microsoft promised to begin distributing these repairing patches monthly, rather than weekly, and making the patches easier to install and to remove when they conflict with existing software. The company said it still would rush out an emergency patch midmonth if it determines hackers were actively breaking into computers using a software flaw it could repair immediately.

It also promised a new Web site for consumers that will determine when patches need to be installed for all other Microsoft products.

How is that an "overhaul?" Sounds like they're using a band-aid to heal an amputation. Come on, guys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

The company promised to improve its built-in firewall feature, which has drawn criticism in the past because it was not especially strong and was routinely turned off in new copies of Windows.

"Our goal is simple," Ballmer said. "Get our customers secure and keep them secure. Our commitment is to protect our customers from the growing wave of criminal attacks."

then try building secure products that ship when they're stable,

rather than buggy crap you expect us to patch later... fools.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Microsoft said the changes, announced by chief executive Steve Ballmer during a trade conference in New Orleans...

"SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY!

SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY!

SECURITY, SECU..."

Doofus.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Cunard announces new focus on Safety and Security.

"The new Titanic will have our full attention to safety. Our eventual commitment is to keep our next passengers safe from these criminal iceberg attacks."

just wanted to check the irony dipstick. yep full up.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    "This time we're really serious. Just like we were, uh, last time, except this time we're really really serious."

Hey, at least they're turning the firewall on by default. Credit where credit is due, and all that.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I wonder if they plan to implement any of the security measures discussed previously using hardwired chips, what was it called?, that created such a furor.

With Microsoft, I always just imagine anything they say regarding security will end up costing the end user more freedom and anonymity.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

"SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY!

SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY!

SECURITY, SECU..."

Doofus.

LOL

I automatically envision the video clip with that Hairy Japanese popsicle thing dancing around.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    this just means they are gonna make XP fun like win2k3 server... with all the restriction policies turned on...

Are you sure you want to visit this website?

Yes.

This website contains images as well as text. Do you want to load the images.

Yes.

This website contains flash as well as images and text. Do you want to load flash player plugin?

Yes.

You clicked a link. The destination page is not trusted. Do you want to continue....

No, ****it.... I'm going to the pub!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Can someone explain to me, in clear, down-to-earth terms, exactly WHY this is the "majority OS" in the world?

I tell you, after talking to my Mom, sister, co-workers, etc. it's absolutely AMAZING what people simply come to expect - and put up with - in their computing lives.

Maybe it's just people I know and they're not super-know-it-all, techgeek types, but DAMN.

But the thing is (and the beauty of the Mac) is that you DON'T - AND SHOULDN'T - HAVE TO BE A SUPER-KNOW-IT-ALL, TECHGEEK TYPE to get things done and simply do what you want, when you want and how you want.

There is no joy in using a computer you have to worry about to that degree. And there is no honor (or coolness points) for being the kind of spaz who gets off "tackling" these issues and constantly putzing around around with their computer.

My iMac (and every other Mac I've owned or used) works for ME and does MY bidding...not the other way around. And that's how it's supposed to be, people.

I keep waiting to wake up one morning and turn on CNN and learn that PC users worldwide have all finally snapped simultaneously and thrown their Dells, Gateways and God-knows-what-else out their windows or down their stairways...and are in their car driving to their nearest Apple Store to finally buy a clue and experience how it's SUPPOSED to be done.

Yeah, you got 3GHz. Big ****ing deal if the piece-of-crap OS that's running it is this lame.

That's why some of you people (you spec whores and spec whore wannabes) need to count your lucky stars and quit your bitching about numbers, MHz, etc.

I'll take a superior OS over a "blazing fast PC with all the right features/numbers" ANY day.

When you look at it like that (which I do), we've already won. The world just hasn't realized it yet.

• Reply 9 of 11
    Well pscates, I think it is all about 'cheapness'. The majority of computer users/buyers go for cheap PC's, from what I understand.

However, what they don't realise is that when they get their nice(?) PC box home and three and a half hours later they can finally use it (after software/driver installs etc.) they find that the user experience is also 'cheap'. Get what you pay for I guess. And I am going off topic here \

What Apple needs to do is more aggressive marketing, keep touting all the "our OS doesn't crash, viruses? what are those" type stuff. The PC buying public in general may be unaware that there is a better alternative, and that is the worst thing about Windows' dominance.

Edit: Regarding beefing up Windows security, which is what this topic is about (knew I was going off topic earlier !), isn't that like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'll take a superior OS over a "blazing fast PC with all the right features/numbers" ANY day.

Can I get an AMEN!?!?!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    pscates, here.

PC people put up with so much crap it's funny but if you tell them to get a Mac they get all defensive. it's strange behavior. Kind of like Stockholm syndrome. Weird.