Mac on a wireless network that's NOT airport based?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ok, i just got an iBook for christmas. came totally out of the blue and i'm really, really happy. i have one question for all of you out there though.

have you ever tried to use a mac w/an airport card on a wireless network that's not coming from the mac basestation?

i have the house here set up wirelessly for the PC's, and would like to know if i could just have the iBook fit right in or not. i know it's supposed to be an open standard, but who knows what that really means. anyone else out there ever had a mac working on a wireless network that didn't have an apple basestation?

-alcimedes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Should work. Just enter your base station ID (or SSID) in your AirPort Control Strip Module (in OS 9) or Apple Menu (X) and you are set. If you are using a base station with 128-bit encryption, make sure you have one of the newer AirPort cards in your iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cool, i might just spring the $100 for the airport card then. wireless on a portable will rule. thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I use wireless on my university campus all the time and it isn't airport based. All you have to do is enter the network name and your airport card should access it.

I love being able to access the network in a few different buildings on campus.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    If the wireless network has WEP enabled, you just put a $ in front of the keys.