Ugh, I may have to pick up a PC laptop.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While my sights are still set on the 15" AL PowerBook, it may need to wait a bit longer.

A newly landed project has required me to show my presentations to the client, working in a PC environment (both hardware and software).

Can anyone suggest a cheap--maybe $800 (even discontinued) but decent PC laptop? Is it best going Dell or Toshiba or IBM? I'm blind when it comes to the PC side of things.

Then again, maybe I should just rent one by the day...hmmm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'll dump a couple IBM laptop options... IBM's designs are blah, but I hear that they make pretty solid laptops.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...catalogId=-840

Check out IBM's auctions on eBay, a couple laptops around $800 right now (though it may go up), i.e. this X24 (12" screen, no CD drive though):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=31554

As far as Dell, I think the Inspiron 1100 is the only one that would dip below $800.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I had several IBM Thinkpads at work. My trusty old T600X (PIII, 650 MHz) had really an amazing build quality. My Pismo PowerMac felt squeaky and cheap when I compared the two. My new Thinkpad (A31p, P4 2 GHz, 1600x1200 15" LCD) has a slightly cheaper 'feel'. IBM makes IMO the best notebook keyboards (no wonder as a former typewriter company)

Personally, I would recommend an IBM T-Series notebook. In your price range this might be a something like a used T22, T23 or T30. They are a nice compromise between speed an weight. They are also used in many corporations, so spare parts availability is rather good.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

While my sights are still set on the 15" AL PowerBook, it may need to wait a bit longer.

A newly landed project has required me to show my presentations to the client, working in a PC environment (both hardware and software).

Can anyone suggest a cheap--maybe $800 (even discontinued) but decent PC laptop? Is it best going Dell or Toshiba or IBM? I'm blind when it comes to the PC side of things.

Then again, maybe I should just rent one by the day...hmmm.

I'm sooo sorry you have to go through that. We are all here for you. I'm serious too. No one should have to use one of those. Good luck, the dark side is no fun.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I would definitely get a ThinkPad. Solid notebooks, and great design too. (relative to other PC notebooks, of course)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Without knowing what your projects are, I also have to give presentations to clients of mine. I have to work in a PC environment, and I have to talk about stuff that involves clients' PC hardware & software.

But I've got into the habit of parking myself on the client's desk with my 17" PB and Keynote. First they go weak-kneed at the sight of the PB, but the vinegar stroke for them is seeing the first rotating cube in Keynote. It is a winner every time.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Look at Toshiba. My work just got some really cheap Toshiba laptops, and they didn't break out of the box.