PB 1gz owners

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got my 12 incher Super Drive. I am mostly happy with it. One thing I notice is after I have it on for along time, the left side by palm gets hot and the hard drive, or fan noize gets preety loud (only when it is on for a long time. Is this a normal thing for you other 12 inchers? Please post problems or anomolies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Pretty normal for a 12" PB as far as the warmth/fan. Just be glad you didn't have the first version of them, they're supposed to be much hotter in the palm rest area.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    leobleob Posts: 3member
    Do you know if the Superdrive in the new 12" supports writing to DVD-RW?

Can you use the superdrive to read DVD+R plates that have been burnt by a Windoze PC?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by leob

Do you know if the Superdrive in the new 12" supports writing to DVD-RW?

Can you use the superdrive to read DVD+R plates that have been burnt by a Windoze PC?

this is a question i'd like to know the answer to.. i have owned _both_ rev A and b (currently) 12" powerbooks. the old superdrive was model UJ-815, which supported dvd-rw and reading of +r (not sure about +rw), but these capabilities (along with 8x CDRW and 16x CDR) were disabled purposly by apple for whatever reason. Cynikal (superdrive.cynikal.net) packaged up new firmware which re-enabled these abilities, and users reported good results with the new firmware. however - the REv B models have an UJ-816, which according to apple, will do all the faster cd burning of the firmware-hacked older UJ-815, but is tight lipped about the other features cynikals' firmware enabled (namely -rw).

this powerbook being only a few days old, i haven't yet had a chance to test it (if anyone's asking - DVD+RWs DEFINATELY don't work but i will in the next day or so. cynikal tells me it does everything (dvd-rw, reading dvd+ etc), but i'm yet to see it..
  • Reply 4 of 7
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    jxfreak, I to am interested in getting a DVD-RW to work. I?ve tried Sony, Panasonic and Philips media without any success. This is a very interesting feature for backup, as I don?t want to keep buying expensive DVD-R?s.

(Mini Powerbook 12inch review)

I just replaced my Powerbook 15inch 1 GHz with the new 12inch 1 GHz machine. First impressions are really COOL looking machine. It feels more solid all around, keyboard is fantastic, size is a lot better for me and it seems faster. It does get really hot though, ouch hot, I bought one of those fan pads for notebooks in fear I would melt my table. Also got four of those dreaded dead pixels, 2,000 bucks for a machine and you get a broken screen, uuurrrggghhh. Just out of curiosity does anyone else feel Apples quality is slipping. I like the 12inch but it seems that the last three Apple machines I?ve owned had some sort of problem. Maybe I?m picky, but my TI I just replaced was a nightmare, so was the TI before it; chipping paint, bad screen, dead battery, broken hinges; cracked plastic and dead ports have all plagued them. In fact, come to think about it I haven?t owned a Mac past its warranty in five years because they keep falling apart on me. I think Steve is doing a good job for making profits for Apple but at a cost of decreasing quality.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Four dead pixels? You might be able to get the screen replaced if you have that many. Apple policy used to be you had to have 7 or 8 or something ridiculous like that, but they've been making it more lenient nowadays. Especially if they are annoying colors or near the center (rather than by the edge), you might have a good case for getting the screen fixed.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I tried contacting Apple but their policy seems to be five or more pixels in a one-inch square area or seven and above scattered. It seems they change their policy according to the cycle of the moon. When my IBM ThinkPad X30 had one dead pixel, IBM just gave me a new laptop and included a free battery when they sent it back. I know Apple isn?t Big Blue but four friggen red squares staring at you while watching a movie is enough to make any person go mad.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Sorry to hear about the dead pixels. My PB has no dead pixels I can see, even in a black screen. The only thing, is a little darker in the bottom right edge of the screen, but I can barely tell unless I look very carefully. The heat is really an issue though. If I put it to sleep once in a while, its fine but if I have it on for a while, the fan kicks in and will not stop. SO LOUD. It gets annoying, but if this fan is normal, what can I say?.....