Bows and hunting

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Did I watch LoTR one too many times? Lately I've been outdoorsy in my free time -- fishing, and soon hunting for the first time. Quite enjoyable really.

Anyone out here hunt with a bow/cross bow. I tried a cross-bow the other day and I was amazed at the accuracy. It's probably a lot harder to hit a moving target with cross-bow than with a rifle, as the bolt moves a lot slower. I'm thinking of getting one as I progress towards a bow, which is a lot harder to use well, but ultimately the most artful form of the hunting. Will have to get some sort of shot gun or hunting sidearm just in case an angry bear is undettered by my flying toothpicks. I have a few ideas on that, but suggestions are welcome.

Probably not amongst this lot, but any hunters/archers out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Probably not amongst this lot, but any hunters/archers out there?

Ted Nugent. Come on down to Michigan and visit Ted Nugent's Bow World for all of your hunting needs.

I've always loved bows. Never hunted myself, but I have used a bow and arrow a few times and they are a very nice artform. What do you hunt? Are you going to eat it? Ted eats everything he kills.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    This will be my first season. I've shot .22 target pistols, and have a little practice shooting a rifle. I don't own any firearms yet. The group I go with hunts Moose and deer. I love to eat both. I might start with game birds, turkeys and pheasant, which I also love to eat. I wouldn't hunt bear, or any predatory game, but will buy a weapon that can fend them off, just in case.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Skeet and targets just seem boring, but I don't eat meat anymore and wouldn't want to kill for fun. I keep meaning to get to a shooting range anyway, just for fun, but I'm envious of being able to be outside and free while doing it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    If you plan to fend off a grizzly bear you'll need nothing less than a 40mm anti-armor cannon.

I've done some waterfowl hunting in my time, and it's pretty fun. It's where shotguns come into play though, since you'd never hit anything fast-moving and airborne with a rifle.

Otherwise, deer meat is exceptionally tasty, and there's a big overpopulation of them in most parts anyway. I once knew a guy who hunted deer with a bow as well, which may be an option for you if you're into that stuff. Personally, I'm more into guns, especially because the government doesn't want me to have them.

• Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

If you plan to fend off a grizzly bear you'll need nothing less than a 40mm anti-armor cannon.

I think there just might be some firearms out there that can fell a charging bear. Smith and Wesson has a new .50 caliber load (and a 5 shot revolver) designed for just such a purpose. It has 3X the muzzle velocity of a 44 Magnum, LOTSA power, however even at over 12" long and weighing over 4 lbs (or perhaps especially because of that) it can't be all too easy to aim at anything, especially if you're a little scared/excited. A shot gun with the right load, and 4-5 cartridge capacity ought to provide the right safety margin.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I just got a PSE (precision shooting equip) bow recently and I like it alot. They are rather inexpensive, and can be purchased in combo kits which are even more economical. Got mine at Gander Mtn, but they are found at most any discount sporting goods store. Welcome to the hunting family.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I think with a bear, that would rather you didn't exist anymore, you really need a weapon that is going to stop it in one shot, because that's probably all you're going to get. If you don't stop it with the first round, it's just going to be an even more pissed off bear that will make sure you cease to exist.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Ideally, you won't ever have to shoot one, seems they mostly stay away from us, but if set upon unawares, you need a really powerful close range weapon that you can deploy fast. I don't see what else you can do but shoot to kill, the things are incredibly fast and strong, they climb, they swim, they run faster than a human, if it decides to chase you for whatever reason, what else can you do?

I've heard people say that if you lay down on your stomach and cover your head and neck, most bears will sniff and nudge you a bit before moving on. That's not really an option I'm prepared to test.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Black bears are basically pussies. It's not worth the trouble. Carry whatever you would carry anyway. If you're going to be in grizzly country then a gun is a reasonable choice. Grizzly are far more unpredictable, mostly harmless of course but less likely to play nice. Any gun would have to be in hand to be of use in an instant encounter, which is what most problematic encounters with bears are. Which means a rifle/shotgun is going to have to be carried which you don't want if you want to have a bow in hand. If you're hunting with a rifle/shotgun then that's your bear protection anyway. They make some large calibur handguns out of titanium these days, nice and lightweight. Your chances with a .223 rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun of course would be a bit better of course than your chances with a .44 Magnum or what have you. Dunno too much about specific models but as you noted you need a hand cannon, .50 caliber or whatever to even consider carrying a handgun. Anything on the weak side and it isn't even worth it. You won't be attacked by a bear though, and if you are you'll probably die anyway. Understand that if you shoot a bear that may cause him to run away in pain or it may cause him to try to kill you even if he was only in a defensive/bluff charge originally. You probably won't kill him and if you do it won't be until after he has had time to kill you.

Keeping a clean camp, being careful around brush/water and traveling with a partner will all increase your safety more than a gun.