wireless network

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I've been searching for a wireless accesspoint/router for my homenetwork. It's a mixed Windows / Mac Network (at the moment they are all connected through a hub).

I've found several options:

- Asus WL-300g (link)

- Linksys WAP54G 130? (link)

- Netgear WGT624 (link)

- D-link DI-624+ (link)

I don't need a printerport on the router, at least if the normal network printing still works.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I used a D-Link and it is nice and Linksys is known for quality. However the Netgear I tried to set up for a friend never did work. (May have been a defective unit) I also had good results from my NetworkEverywhere wireless router (Part of Linksys) Never used a ASUS.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

Hi,

I've been searching for a wireless accesspoint/router for my homenetwork. It's a mixed Windows / Mac Network (at the moment they are all connected through a hub).

I've found several options:

- Asus WL-300g (link)

- Linksys WAP54G 130? (link)

- Netgear WGT624 (link)

- D-link DI-624+ (link)

I don't need a printerport on the router, at least if the normal network printing still works.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I have a Windows laptop with a Linksys wireless card; a G5 Dual with an Airprot Extreme card; and, an 800 Mhz iMac with a first generation Airport card, all using an Airport Extreme base station on broadband. This setup has performed flawlessly for quite some time now.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    The Netgear WGT624 is awesome. My Al 15" has a pretty strong signal anywhere in my house, and can even go a fair distance outside.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I've got the Netgear. It sits on a desk in my basement where my cable comes in and my brother can get reception in his second story bedroom. My dad can use his laptop from anywhere in the house with no problem and can even go outside on the porch or patio. Works great, no problems with it at all.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I can't help but recommend the Apple Airport ... I have an old iMac pluged in via ethernet, an iBook running off an Airport card, and a WinXP machine using a Linksys PCI wireless card.

They all work together flawlessly... even the set-up was relatively painless (my biggest hurdle was configuring the XP box 'cause that was my first ever Windows machine.)

Yes, it's a little pricey compared to the Linksys units, but it looks a lot better sitting on top of the piano in my living-room !
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

I can't help but recommend the Apple Airport ... I have an old iMac pluged in via ethernet, an iBook running off an Airport card, and a WinXP machine using a Linksys PCI wireless card.

They all work together flawlessly... even the set-up was relatively painless (my biggest hurdle was configuring the XP box 'cause that was my first ever Windows machine.)

Yes, it's a little pricey compared to the Linksys units, but it looks a lot better sitting on top of the piano in my living-room !

I am a look person myself, but when it came down to wireless, I could get a cheaper solution, that besides being uglier was better in every way.

I picked up a refurbished Dl-614+ (Predecessor to the Dl-624) and couldn't be happier. Not only did it only cost me $55 but it has 4 LAN ports as well. It's signal is good also, rated at a higher distance then Apple.

D-link boasts 22mbps on 802.11b instead of the regular 11mbps. Also D-link gives 328ft indoors and 1,312 outdoors, while Apple's only gives 150ft in b. Look at the difference and tell me looks is that important.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

D-link boasts 22mbps on 802.11b instead of the regular 11mbps.

That's only if you use the 'airplus' feature, but you need a d-link card to do so.

I'm pretty happy with my d-link 614+, but some of the set-up is a little strange. However, I couldn't find complaints online about it (other than it not working when 'airplus' is turned on) unlike all other routers, which each have a following of people that hate them. Once it is set up, it works fine for me.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

That's only if you use the 'airplus' feature, but you need a d-link card to do so.

I'm pretty happy with my d-link 614+, but some of the set-up is a little strange. However, I couldn't find complaints online about it (other than it not working when 'airplus' is turned on) unlike all other routers, which each have a following of people that hate them. Once it is set up, it works fine for me.

I have not had any experience with other routers so I can't really say. Setup is kinda mixed around, but it isn't TOO hard to remember it once you are all set. I'd say the biggest problem I have had is that my ISP blocked port 80, so I was furious I couldn't get web hosting to work. Haha but I figured out it wasn't he routers problem.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    This isn't an Apple hardware discussion, and it's purchasing advice... moving to General Discussion.