New LCD on the TiPB?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ok, quick question out ther for people who have seen both the old and the new TiPB's.

when i've looked in the past, i've always thought the new iBook's LCD looked nicer than the TiPB's. then today my sister's DVD-CDRW TiPB showed up, and side-by-side, it looks as good, if not better than the new iBook's LCD. anyone know if the LCD was changed in any way?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have a Ti 500 and will take a closer look the next time I see a 550/667 model...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    I would assume that the LCDs come from the same manufacturer, and so any enhancements in the iBook screen would show up in the TiBook as well. The dimmer TiBook screens were probably older stock that was still being used while the new iBooks were shipping with the new screens.

Oh, and i'm personally very excited to hear that your sister's TiBook has arrived!

-robo
  • Reply 3 of 7
    yeah. i'm working on getting my iBook sent in for the hinge to get worked on. not sure if i should upgrade the HD before i send it in or not.

the one that i pulled out of her machine says it's apple stock on it, so i don't think they'd notice or void the warrenty. (i hope)

not sure if it's worth the risk before i send it in though.

they said the box is on its way though, i called a few days ago. turns out this is a known issue on thie iBooks. i had to go over to apple's discussion area to find out though.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I had a 500 and now I have a 667. I would say that the new screens might be just a tiny bit brighter, maybe. Such a small difference to be negligible. I've never used an iBook (any model) but I cannot think of anything that could make this LCD any better (even the native resolution, I think that the current resolution is perfect for the screen's size).

Well, I guess it would be nice if the pixel in the middle of the display would become unstuck (it's pink/red), but that's not really anybody's fault.

One thing that will make the LCD look like trash in no time is the oil marks from the keyboard. I use a leather JR Hill & Co keyboard cover that works great. Not only does it keep the screen looking its best, but it also makes a great mousepad for optical mice that you can put anywhere (like on your leg in the airplane). How's that for utility? Website is <a href="http://www.jrhillandcompany.com"; target="_blank">http://www.jrhillandcompany.com</a>; if anybody is interested.

-Ender
  • Reply 5 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the 550 and 667 don't have the screen touching keyboard problem anymore
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>the 550 and 667 don't have the screen touching keyboard problem anymore</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah - compared to my month-old 550 with DVD, my NEW 667 combo has a little bit of "play" in it, when latched, kinda like my iBook 500.

The LCD seems a little brighter than the 550. The combo drive intakes & ejects disks MUCH faster than the 550 DVD. The combo is much more like an iMac or even a car stereo.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    enderender Posts: 353member
    They don't eh? What did Apple change? The keyboard and LCD/hinges look the exact same as my 500.

Anyway, I'm kind of attached to the usefulness of my keyboard cover as a mousepad that I'll continue using it.

-Ender