Printing and Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Overall, I really enjoy OS X as an operating system. I've even dumped my Athlon box and use my Mac full time; however, I have never been impressed with OS X's ability to print quickly or even properly at times. Do any of you know if Apple has improved this function of the Operating System? That alone would make me want to go out and buy 10.3.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    My printer doesn't work in 10.3 so I couldn't tell you... (yet...)
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Ouch. What kind of Printer do you have?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    What about you, mattyqp? What printer do you have?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    It's an HP LaserJet 1200. The Printing is better than 10.0 or 10.1 was, but it's still sluggish. Sometimes Print Center just kind of hangs out scratching it's chin-especially on PDFs; even if the PDF is not a complicated document. It works great with OS 9 and XP. It prints almost instantly with those Systems. Have you had any printing issues?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Epson Stylus Photo 820. I just need Epson to release a driver that works with 10.3, which hopefully will be very shortly after the 24th. I can still print from our 12" PowerBook, which I kept at 10.2.8 until after I pick up the real Panther, knowing I'd have problems with this developer build stuff. I expect problems like this, but finding out which ones there are is no fun... My scanner still works fine though.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    No problems with 10.3 and HP LaserJet 1200n here... but I haven't had any issues since 10.2 anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I think the problem is with the USB and the LaserJet 1200 in Jaguar. I had very similar problems with printing. The LaserJet 1200n would be connecting via ethernet, I am guessing, which is probably why Haddock didn't have similar issues.

After a Panther install, the LaserJet 1200 seems to be printing MUCH better when using USB. I haven't given it a thorough trial yet, but first impressions are very positive.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Thanks QNational. That's good news. I'll have to pick up a copy now.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    After replacing the IP address with the network name of the printer we were able to print again!
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I've had issues, lets just say, getting my dad's GCC Elite 600/N to print either by hooking it up directly via an Ethernet Cable or through the Airport Extreme Basestation..

It used to work through a router (I *think* it was a Lynksis router? I can check, not sure), but the router died.. so my dad hasn't been able to get the damn thing to print.. grrr...

It *should* be able to have you set-up a specific IP adress on the printer, and then print via ethernet.. but so far no luck! Anyone else use these printers and have any suggestions?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Epson Stylus Photo 820. I just need Epson to release a driver that works with 10.3, which hopefully will be very shortly after the 24th. I can still print from our 12" PowerBook, which I kept at 10.2.8 until after I pick up the real Panther, knowing I'd have problems with this developer build stuff. I expect problems like this, but finding out which ones there are is no fun... My scanner still works fine though.

I've been running around connecting to a vast array of printers, both laser, color and bw, and inkjet and die sub and plotters (hp, epson, lexmark, etc.), networked, USB (an Epson 820 at home - http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...Type=Downloads ) testing everything I could and have had no problems running Panther. Not one. It's been terrific to just come into a clients office, open my powerbook and be able to print via airport to any printer in the office). Hats off to Apple for finally making my life as a consultant easier (at least when it comes to printing! I'm not sure why you guys are having the problems you are. All of the drivers I've dl and tried from every manufacturer, has worked flawlessly, with great results and very quickly. I better stop before I really start sounding like a commercial. (Note: running Panther 7B85 purported Panther GM).
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Printing in Panther seems better here. But then again, I never really had much trouble anyway... It just seems faster. Print Center doesn't suck as much as it used to, if that's any sort of positive news.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    People having issues with ethernet printers:

The printer is often on a default subnet that is different to the one your machine is on.

eg: my printer default was 192.168.1.100

I often have my mac setup as 192.168.0.10

if your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then data going to 192.168.1 will be routed through your gateway.

If you have a router it should sort out the issue for you.

If you dont have a router your printer connection is dissappearing off into the 'net.

You have a few choices:

a) get a router

b) set your subnet to 255.255.0.0 ( makes all 192.168 networks addresses local, which is fine for small networks )

c) change your printer ip to match your mac's subnet

c) can be a bit hard if you have to telnet to the printer to change, rather than using the panel on the printer.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Also, you should be able to print a configuration page from the printer which has the printers ip address on it.

Get it,

then ping the ip address.

If you get a response from the printer then something else is wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    3 questions.

first, how do I ping?

second, if the computer involved uses DHCP server to automagically setup the IP Address settings (ie. setup by the ISP through a DSL modem), how do I know the computers Subnet Mask etc.?

third, can an Airport Extreme Basestation act as a router between a DSL modem, an ethernet printer, and one or more Airport compatible computers or do I need a separate hardware router?

bonus question if I need a hardware router, any plugs on which one to buy (easiest to setup and maintain for a Mac, etc.)?

Thanks again for the help....
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Well wanderlust thanks for giving me hope that it will work again soon, I just downloaded that driver you linked to and I'm going to install it now. I installed the one that came on the disc with the printer but I didn't get it that long ago. I'll see if this one works. Before I just couldn't get Print Center to find the printer at all, nothing would acknowledge it at all (except the PowerBook..)
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Well wanderlust thanks for giving me hope that it will work again soon, I just downloaded that driver you linked to and I'm going to install it now. I installed the one that came on the disc with the printer but I didn't get it that long ago. I'll see if this one works. Before I just couldn't get Print Center to find the printer at all, nothing would acknowledge it at all (except the PowerBook..)

Great. Let me know how it works.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steven R Wilson

3 questions.

first, how do I ping?

second, if the computer involved uses DHCP server to automagically setup the IP Address settings (ie. setup by the ISP through a DSL modem), how do I know the computers Subnet Mask etc.?

third, can an Airport Extreme Basestation act as a router between a DSL modem, an ethernet printer, and one or more Airport compatible computers or do I need a separate hardware router?

bonus question if I need a hardware router, any plugs on which one to buy (easiest to setup and maintain for a Mac, etc.)?

Thanks again for the help....

I assume ( from the thread title ) that you are running OS X.

To ping open terminal, and type 'ping' followed by the ip address or name of the machine you want to ping - in this case the printer.

To find put about your netmask type 'ifconfig'

mine looks like this

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500

inet6 fe80::203:93ff:fe7b:75d0%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4

ether 00:03:93:7b:75:d0

media: autoselect (none) status: inactive

supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback>

ppp0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1400

inet 172.193.126.168 --> 204.150.73.15 netmask 0xffff0000

ethernet cards are named en<some number>, normally en0 if you only have one. at the bottom of the en entry there is a line starting with inet. it provides info about your ip address and netmask.

my netmask is 0xffff0000 - or 255.255.0.0

255.255.255.0 will look like 0xffffff00

I dont have an airport base station, so Im not sure of its routing capabilities, but I think it should be able to. It depends on how its setup I guess.

To get the printer setup properly you might need to disconnect from internet, and setup your network manually so you are on the same subnet. Once you do that you can reconfigure the printer.

As for routers, if you have an ABS, then I think you just need to hook up a router to it. They have a good rep for ease of use, so sounds like a good investment.

I like the visual look of linksys and belkin routers, if you get one of them, then get one with a four port switch built in.

I personally had a linux server running esmith linux, which was easy to setup and manage ( 5 minute install wizard did it all - from boot to running )
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by wanderlust

Great. Let me know how it works.

That driver worked, and I am pretty impressed. I had a lot more print options, the crap I could set now was pretty amazing. Thanks for the tip, saved me the trouble of waiting 2 weeks to print anything.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    atroxatrox Posts: 22member
    Quote:

I have the same printer and have printed at least 100 times in Panther with it.