Burning a FAT32 CD...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I would like to burn a CD that i can read on a PC, without tools like MacOpener, in either FAT or FAT32 format. I tried to do this using the built-in apps in Jaguar, but it won't work. I would try to format the disc in "MS-DOS format" in Disk Utility, but the CD format would revert back to HFS+ in the Finder.

Do I need another app to do this like Toast?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    it's complex, but i'll try and walk you through it.

first, find the files you want copied.

second, drag them to the CD icon on your desktop.

third, drag the CD to the (was a trash icon, now will be burn icon)

let go.

done.

the burned CD will be readable on either platform.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    really? i thought hfs+ was readable only on Macs... does this have anything to do with the ISO standards?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Windows does not use FAT for CDs; it uses ISO 9660. The Finder creates hybrid ISO 9660/HFS+ CDs that can be read on any platform.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Windows CDs are basically ISO 9660 plus Joliet for metadata and long file names.

Mac CDs are basically ISO 9660 plus HFS for metadata and long file names.

You can read one CD on the other platform, but long file names will be truncated (and you'll lose some stuff like lables... which don't work on Windows anyway, so who cares?).

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Oh okay. I gotcha. I didn't know that in all these years...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    no prob. that's why sites like this are worth visiting now and again.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    I've been reading this with interest as I've always had trouble with multi session Cds. On a mac its fine each session appears speedily as a separate cd icon in the finder. yet when I put the same cd into any pc all I get access to is the first session! Its as if the rest don't exist.

does anyone know why this might be and if there is a solution? I've tried with both disc burner and Toast now