How long before we see colored iPods?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Eventually the iPod will reach a sort of saturation point i'd imagine and what else will apple be able to do to spur sales or people to buy a new one?

the iPod is already excessive for the majority of people. 15GB suits most more than adequately and 40GB has approached insane levels for music storage of MP3s and AACs.

do you think Apple will release different styles, as in colors. I'd love to have a graphite or black iPod. or perhaps even a clear one. or maybe a deep blue iPod. the white is a bit too sterile for my taste.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I imagine the background colors being used in the iPod commercials could be used as iPod colors.

However I like white and white only.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    White has made an image. I don't think they will *help* the franchise (so to speak) by changing what makes it identifiable in TV shows, movies, and public places...

If one of my stupider friends has a *whateverbrand* MP3 player (non-iPod) I never have a clue if it's a nomad, or a rio or a whatever. There is no "HEY! You have an iPOD! COOL MAN!". They just get blank stares and people think "Geek". If you are seen with an iPod at least they think "Geek with money/style."
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Personally, I think a brushed aluminum one to match the G5 and Powerbooks would be cool. But as for colors, there's always iSkin.

edit: on second thought, a stainless steel iPod would look even cooler, imho, and be more scratch resistant...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    i think rather than gimmicks like colors etc., Apple will bring us compelling reasons to use our iPods for storing things other than music: video? photos? who knows... but i bet pretty soon, another update or two, the 15 gig you think is so roomy today will seem paltry.

NeilyB
  • Reply 5 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I love the white, but would like to see some color in there too. Maybe just some tinting, not solid colors. I don't really know what I'm trying to say. But I like the white.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think the white and chrome is a nice, slick and "go anywhere" look. Those third-party companies that sell skins and so forth exist for those of you absolutely needing a lime green, glow-in-the-dark iPod.

Going to colors, at this point, would seem somehow like "going back" and regressive for Apple. They did the color thing first, years ago, and did it best. Then lamer companies followed (okay, copied) and after a few years, Apple moved on to the current white/chrome/aluminum/silver/glass look.

Granted, the iPod - by its very nature and purpose - might seem suited for some sort of splasy, hip-looking color treatment.

But I think they look great now. I can always buy a tangerine iSkin for it if the mood ever hits.

Just used my friend's iPod last night as I was waiting for her to come home and I was sprawled across her couch listening to Lucinda Williams and marveling at how cool and amazing this little gadget is!

It will be my first purchase after a laptop (notice I said "laptop" and not PowerBook...)

• Reply 7 of 14
    Funny thing is, what I notice most now that I have an iPod is not the iPod's color, but the headphones' color. I'm a grad student, and if I had a nickel for every pair of white headphones I see while walking around campus, I'd make out pretty well. Like when you buy a new car and suddenly begin noticing all the cars on the road like yours, I see iPod headphones on people everywhere now.

It's just too bad that Apple chose such relatively crappy headphones. I wish they could have gotten Sony to make a white version of their Fontopia's. Even the $20 MDR-ED21LP's, which I currently use, are a noticeable improvement, and a special white Apple-only version would be bonus.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    i like the white...but what about a color SCREEN?

this will eventually happen, and then i'll upgrade my gen one pod.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSwitched

i like the white...but what about a color SCREEN?

this will eventually happen, and then i'll upgrade my gen one pod.

i have to think that if they are promoting placing photos on your ipod, they will eventually release a color lcd so you can quickly run through your photo libraries, just like on the lcd of a digital camera.

i still think apple (and some other developer) could make a small camera attachment, similar to the "cameras" that every cell phone and pda manufacturer are slapping in their products these days.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i have to think that if they are promoting placing photos on your ipod, they will eventually release a color lcd so you can quickly run through your photo libraries, just like on the lcd of a digital camera.

i still think apple (and some other developer) could make a small camera attachment, similar to the "cameras" that every cell phone and pda manufacturer are slapping in their products these days.

But what will this do for the battery life? People already complain about the short battery life. Although I don't really see how 8 hours is all that short. This will reduce it even more, won't it?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I love the iPod's current look but it is presenting some problems. I live in Brooklyn, NY in a "not so great area".

Since the iPod was featured on Mtv next to Escalades and glamours rap stars, it has become a desired object in the projects, and the basis behind some recent muggings at my subway stop.

Sure you can swap out the headphones with something less obvious... or carry a knife, but changing the color would be nice =)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    You know, colors are soooo 1999
  • Reply 13 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcoats23

I love the iPod's current look but it is presenting some problems. I live in Brooklyn, NY in a "not so great area".

Since the iPod was featured on Mtv next to Escalades and glamours rap stars, it has become a desired object in the projects, and the basis behind some recent muggings at my subway stop.

Sure you can swap out the headphones with something less obvious... or carry a knife, but changing the color would be nice =)

Right, I saw this coming. Yay, market the $400 toy to kids that can't afford one. Great.

Anyway, why isn't your iPod in its black case? Just use the remote surreptitiously with whatever headphones you use.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Well..if they did decide to add colors they could have an ad campaign identical to the current one just in reverse.