Some questions about speakers, and ipod and mac music output

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
1. Generally what does a good speaker system have to have? In other words, how can I tell what is a good speaker system. How do I go about choosing the right system for me?

2. Does the way the ipod decodes music and the mac differ? I could swear that songs on the mac sound better. (and all the settings are the same, no sound enhancer, no equaliser, no nothing, so don't start saying "maybe your settings were different..." I especially checked to make sure

3. On the iPod there is an option for equaliser off and equaliser flat. Is there any difference between the two?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    1)

For the speakers, the simpliest way to see if they are great, is to listen to them. Your ears, even if you are not a musician are much more reliable than any objective test.

Anyway, concerning HP for computers, i will say, that for good qualitie, a Bose like system is highly recommanded (one big bass HP, connected with two satellites hp for medium and trebble). The classical two relatively bigs HP is not ergonomic in the computer world.

2) for the Ipod, i presume that both decoding system are the same, but the quality of componements differ

3) hard to answer to this one. It depends if they made a circuitry for the equalizer, or if it's just software equalizer. If there a circuitry, then no equalizer will give better results than flat equalizer (because for High qualitie amplification, the more direct is the signal the better it is).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    good speakers make an iPod sound better

but great speakers make no difference

in other words, you reach a point where the compression hinders quality on the speakers.

anything over 150-200 bucks for 2.1 system is overkill for MP3s in my opinion.