Dvd-r Dvd+r?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Do the recent announcements that Panther will support DVD+R formats mean that I will be able to write DVD+R with my 15" AiBook? I know some Apple drives have DVD+R support available but disabled. Which current Apple products might have a device that will support DVD+R?

Here is the CNET article for reference: http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5090559.html

-Spyky

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spyky

Do the recent announcements that Panther will support DVD+R formats mean that I will be able to write DVD+R with my 15" AiBook? I know some Apple drives have DVD+R support available but disabled. Which current Apple products might have a device that will support DVD+R?

Here is the CNET article for reference: http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5090559.html

-Spyky

From what I understand, your drive will be able to read and write both formats with Panther if, and only if, the drive supports it. (duh). I imagine that a new AlBook would be able to do this.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Your AlBook's DVD drive probably doesn't support writing to DVD+R. On the desktop side, all the DVD burner equipped G5s should be able to write both DVD+R and DVD+RW. As long as you have a later Sony driveror the Pioneer DVR-106, you should be able to burn the "plus" formats.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I assume the new powerbooks wont support it? Or will they?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wait, what's the diff between - and +?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    No. The new AL PBs don't support DVD+R; I wish they did though...

DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RAM are competing DVD once-recordable standards that confuse the heck out of most people. Then there's DVD-RW and DVD+RW: the re-writeable versions. I'm told the DVD-Rs seem to be a little more compatible with DVD players but that DVD+R is the expected future standard.

There really should be a standard format.

• Reply 6 of 11
    DVD-RAM is not a one-time recordable format. In fact, it's exactly the opposite. DVD-RAM is the format that most resembles a traditional floppy/zip/etc in functionality.

DVD+R will not become the future standard. Both DVD-R/W and DVD+R /W are here to stay. They're both 'standard.' In fact, if you look closely at the discs, you'd notice that only DVD-R/W sports the official logo...

The DVD+R/W formats are not supported by the DVD Forum, and therefore they aren't even officially DVDs
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

DVD-RAM is not a one-time recordable format. In fact, it's exactly the opposite. DVD-RAM is the format that most resembles a traditional floppy/zip/etc in functionality.

DVD+R will not become the future standard. Both DVD-R/W and DVD+R /W are here to stay. They're both 'standard.' In fact, if you look closely at the discs, you'd notice that only DVD-R/W sports the official logo...

The DVD+R/W formats are not supported by the DVD Forum, and therefore they aren't even officially DVDs

Correct. DVD-RAM is NOT a one-time record disc - sorry. But, seriously, how many players can play DVD-RAM disks?

And I disagree with you that DVD-R and DVD+R will remain; there's just too much confusion among consumers. One will be the standard. What's the point of having two different formats? I fully expect DVD-RAM to fall by the wayside.

Just my opinion. That's why I got a 'universal' burner; one that plays BOTH -R and +R.

• Reply 8 of 11
    Considering the clout the DVD Forum has, DVD-R will be here to stay. If what you said was true, you'd see DVD+R/W only drives starting to takeover instead of everybody on both sides just moving to support both.

Lik I said, DVD+R/W is not even recognized as a true DVD format.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    are multiple sessions possible on recordable dvd's? i haven't had a superdrive available to me for a while, and we just loaded 'em up with single huge sessions when we did burn 'em.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    So will it work on a new 15" powerbook? Or not?

Thanks!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    spykyspyky Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dennis88

So will it work on a new 15" powerbook? Or not?

Thanks!

Yeah, no one seems to have really answered the original question, but from what I've seen elsewhere, I think the answer is no, it will not. The G5s will but not the PowerBook with SuperDrives. But I guess we will have to wait until Panther to know for certain.

-Spyky