safari and java: why does it suck?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i have to admit i know nothing about java and how it works but i assume that is what is responsible for certain things not working right on the mac. why is it that sites like citibank checking and such dont work right? the applets start to load and then some work, some dont. things like the instant messenger in match.com dont work on macs either. can someone please school me on this....like i said, i dont know what the real source of the problem is but am all ears...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Perhaps the applets are coded to work in MS JVM.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    i just bought my first mac desktop because i finally wanted to stop using winblows stuff but i find it more than frustrating that simple web based functionality is less than what i could do before. i love my macs but is there nothing they can do to get on par with the windows-centric web world?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Hi Macfly,

I'm running into the same problem. I have a (and will most likely always have a) Windows box around, but would like to be totally "Mac". I have a friend that would be prefect for a Mac, but a site he must access doesn't work.

I talked to one of the Web programmers at my last company and he said it's just plain laziness of the site designers not to check which browser is accessing the site and then serve up the proper code to make the page work for that browser.

This is just another example of MicroMonopoly at it's best. Everyone designs for the "standard" then alternative users have to just suffer and do without.

I hope that Apple is a where of this and might be able to fix Safari. The main problem seems to be the "Sun Java". My Windows box even had the same problem as the Mac, until I trashed the Sun Java (gets installed with Netscape) and the OS reinstalled the MS Java. Wish you could have both installed and they would work at the right time for the right code.

-Scott
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

I hope that Apple is a where of this and might be able to fix Safari. The main problem seems to be the "Sun Java".

No, you've got it backwards. The problem is Microsoft's implementation of Java. Sun *invented* Java. I think it's safe to say that Sun has the right runtime engine.

Unfortunately, since Microsoft has a larger install base, it's wrong implementation has become the ubiquitous "accepted" implementation. The same goes for how Microsoft's Internet Explorer goes about breaking other internet standards left and right thereby making correct code render badly.

The only way to get it so everyone can access these services, not just Windows users, is to complain to the developers of such sites and just keep harping about how their code is invalid and needs to be fixed. Complain as a Mac user; complain as a Linux user; complain as a Netscape/Mozilla user. We have to make ou voice heard in order to make any sort of impact on these people.

*sigh*
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Java was always slow anyways
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well Said, guys.. how true.

This behavior buggers the web up for everyone in the end. Kind of defeats the "cross-platform" (ha!) nature of Java...

Nick.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Perhaps the applets are coded to work in MS JVM.

This may well be true and whatever the reason, Java sux bigtime in Safari and most if not all other browsers on a Mac.

Could Apple implement the MS JVM? What would the pros and cons be? I agree it would be politically wrong but at the end of the day the computer is tool I want to serve me in the best way possible
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

This may well be true and whatever the reason, Java sux bigtime in Safari and most if not all other browsers on a Mac.

MS JVM != Java

Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Could Apple implement the MS JVM?

No, and MS aren't distributing it anymore. Furthermore it's based on a very old version of Sun's JVM and Microsoft won't support it after September next year.

Btw. more than half the PCs sold today have Sun's JVM installed by default (all HP and Dell machines).

Blame the web site owners - even Microsoft tells them not to use MS JVM.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Btw. more than half the PCs sold today have Sun's JVM installed by default (all HP and Dell machines).

Blame the web site owners - even Microsoft tells them not to use MS JVM.

Thanks for clarifying this issue. But does this mean that PC users with the Sun version are having similar problems to ours? And if the answer is no, then why not?