iBook power cord. Why does Apple (still) do that?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was looking at the power cord on my wife's new iBook. It comes in two parts, the cord that plugs into the wall and the yo-yo like power converter.

Now wtf would Apple put a proprietary plug style on the power cord? You know it has the three circles that plug into the converter. Why not just use the standard three prong that every other freaking computer and monitor and external case out there uses? That way the wife could leave the cord part at home, in the wall, and just take the yo-yo to work.

Why make it different? I can't see the point?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Look at the shape of the plug. It's a hint. Disney is buying Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Hi Gang, That part of the power addaptor is fine but, the end that plugs into the side of the computer is cheap.

I have electrical tape on mine and, have to play around to make sure it is charging.

This tiny braded cable from the yo-yo to the computer is way too thin for a portable computer. Since, your plugging and, unplugging your laptop over and over again.

I have to go to "Radio-Shack" to see if, I can cut the end off and, solder on another plug.

I am not giving Apple $69.95 for another cheap power addaptor. Joe
  • Reply 3 of 9
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I used to have the brick on my PB G3, then I had the yoyo on my Ti PB G4 500, now I have the new one (don't know what I'd call it) on my Ti PB 667. I don't know if y'all have seen it, but it's much more thoughtfully designed than the last two generations of power adapters.

It is in two parts like all the others, one part being the cable that plugs into the laptop and has the brick on the other end. The other part is either the long cord that goes to the wall, or a plastic connector that has a flip-out two prong connector to go directly to the wall and have the brick rest vertically on the wall.

It's very strong and the cords and connectors no longer feel flimsy. I would expect that this power adapter will be available for the iBooks shortly. Definitely worth the $60-$70 to replace the yo-yo's when Apple makes it available.

-Ender
  • Reply 4 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>

It's very strong and the cords and connectors no longer feel flimsy. I would expect that this power adapter will be available for the iBooks shortly. Definitely worth the $60-$70 to replace the yo-yo's when Apple makes it available.

-Ender</strong><hr></blockquote>

It already does come with the iBooks. You can also buy it seperately for older PB G4s and iBooks (I have one on my 500MHz DVD iBook).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member

<strong>(don't know what I'd call it)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Brick 2.0.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>

Brick 2.0.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mini-Chiclet?

-Paul
  • Reply 7 of 9
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Oh, didn't realize it came with the new ones. Cool. I suppose it makes sense; being that the iBook and the PB were updated at the same time, eh?

-Ender
  • Reply 8 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member

<strong>Oh, didn't realize it came with the new ones. Cool. I suppose it makes sense; being that the iBook and the PB were updated at the same time, eh?

-Ender</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>I was looking at the power cord on my wife's new iBook. It comes in two parts, the cord that plugs into the wall and the yo-yo like power converter.

Now wtf would Apple put a proprietary plug style on the power cord? You know it has the three circles that plug into the converter. Why not just use the standard three prong that every other freaking computer and monitor and external case out there uses? That way the wife could leave the cord part at home, in the wall, and just take the yo-yo to work.

Why make it different? I can't see the point?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Most laptops (in fact I have seen none) DO NOT use a standard three prong plug for the cord into the converter. Most laptops do use propietary plugs. You are unjustly shifting blame to Apple this time.