iPod is fooked

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been having some problems with my iPod recently. Just as an overview, it's a 10 GB third-generation model that I bought shortly after they were released in April.

The problem is that whenever I connect it to my computer, it does that disk check thing, with the magnifying glass. It always finishes it with the check mark indicating it's okay, but it sure is annoying because it takes quite a while to finish. It's done this for a couple days now.

Anyway, I called Apple today and asked for some help, and the guy told me that it wasn't damage to the disk, it was just trying to find something and it can't find it. I don't know what that means, it's probably some dumbed-down euphamism for an actual problem. He suggested I reformat and zero all data on the iPod, and when it's done I should run the iPod software restore program. I did so, but the 2.0.1 software installer just refuses to work. Within a couple seconds of hitting "Restore," it beachballs and stays like that forever. My other applications still work, but the iPod Software Installer is hung. When I clicked on the iPod's disk icon in Finder, Finder hung. Relaunching didn't help so I tried opening Terminal. That was when I got a hard freeze, and the only motion on my screen was my mouse (which was very jerky, not smooth anymore).

After it restarted, the iPod showed up on my desktop and iTunes automatically opened and asked for a name for the iPod. "Oh, good, it appeared hung but it must have still installed the software" I thought. I gave it a name and clicked through the setup assistant, and iTunes started transferring music over. About 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through, iTunes hung. Completely. Force quitting closed the main window and removed it from the active processes, but it still showed up in the cmd-optn-esc menu, and there was still a triangle under the icon. I restarted again.

This time, iTunes opened again but I closed it before it could start updating the iPod. I ran the iPod software installer, and got a beachball. Force quit. I ran Disk Utility and reformatted again (I didn't zero all the data though). Then I ran the iPod software installer. No luck, same problem. Now I'm stuck. By that time it was about ten minutes after Apple had closed their support lines so I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow sometime. I will have plenty of time to call them, it's just a pain to have all these problems. Oh, and I also tried re-downloading the iPod software, but that didn't work either.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm just going to call Apple again tomorrow and have someone walk me through the correct procedure, but perhaps someone here has had the same problem or knows how to deal with it? Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OOH OOOOHH! Exact same thing Sunday! I was getting that funky scanning thing every time I plugged in my iPod for two weeks. Also the iPod never played the first song you wanted. (It would stall and play the next track and you would have to wait 5 seconds then press back twice to play the right track) needless to say, I got tired of it.

I created a disk image of the iPod and reformatted the drive. Installed version 2 software *Crash*, then upgraded to 2.0.1, *Crash*. Restarted my computer, restarted iPod, and everything worked. This is where out stories change. I don't have iTunes auto-sync. But I copied the music/files/playlists back to the iPod and restarted. It dosn't scan anymore but I found 1 MP3 that no longer plays for some reason.

The iPod software definatly needs work. I hope apple fixes the countless bugs before they release a new iPod version.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    iPod is fixed now with software version 2.1. I called Apple about the issue and they said I should return it and even sent a shipping box, but it looks like I won't have to now!