Wireless Bluetooth 2 button mouse?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The apple wireless bluetooth mouse is cool but I'd like something with at least two buttons. Does anyone out there make something like this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    This is Purchasing Advice. Moving to General Discussion?

BTW, welcome to AI!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Yes PLEASE, does anyone know of one with a scroll wheel
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Yeah- there are only 2 options (one of which is not available yet)

Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse

Logitech MX900 Bluetooth Mouse

I'm thinking the logitech is going to be the better of the two mice here, but its a lot more expensive ($99). But it comes with a recharging station which is kinda cool.

I've held the Microsoft bluetooth mouse before- it fits the hand very well and has a quality feel to it. I haven't actually used it though.

I've used the Apple bluetooth mouse and LOVE IT! This is going to be my next mouse. I'm gonna ask for it for Christmas. It has a very high quality feel to it and its very simple. Its also the cheapest of the 3 mice. I don't want some huge recharging station on my desk either (with the logitech).
  • Reply 4 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Logitech is really missing the boat. There is definitely demand, there are like 10 threads on this issue. Lots of people have new BlueTooth PowerBooks or the Apple or D-link BT Adapter. That bluetooth mouse is pointless and only employs bluetooth for buzzword compatibility. I want a Bluetooth mouse with two buttons and wheel that is comfortable, WITHOUT a damn separate receiver (I have a 12" PB) and also..non-Microsoft. Is it true you need separate drivers for the M$ or does it just "work" in OS X?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Logitech is really missing the boat. There is definitely demand, there are like 10 threads on this issue. Lots of people have new BlueTooth PowerBooks or the Apple or D-link BT Adapter. That bluetooth mouse is pointless and only employs bluetooth for buzzword compatibility. I want a Bluetooth mouse with two buttons and wheel that is comfortable, WITHOUT a damn separate receiver (I have a 12" PB) and also..non-Microsoft. Is it true you need separate drivers for the M$ or does it just "work" in OS X?

I think it'll just work, but only scrolling and left/right clicks- not the 2 other buttons- I think you might have to install the intellimouse software for that...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    OK this might be slightly off-topic. But i just bought the Targus Wireless Notebook Mouse (model PAUM006) at CompUSA.

It's a little (but not micro) wireless mouse with a very small USB dongle -- not that giant ugly RF receiver that MS RF mice have as well as some others.

It cost $29.

It is not marketed as Mac compatible. So I bought it anyways, plugged it in, and it works. Perfectly. Scroll wheel, both butons. (I'll never understand why companies choose to omit the word "Macintosh" on their packaging -- do they seek out smaller market share, or are they just ignorent Windows biggots?)

It's a two-button mouse, scroll wheel, very responsive -- in fact, I'm really liking it so far. And did I mention it only cost $29??

In my opinion, a very viable alternative to the overpriced MS bluetooth mouse ($79). I'm proud of myself for resisting the demon bluetooth hype and doing the sensible thing -- purchase an affordable wirless mouse for under $30 that actually works perfectly.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    paispais Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottylad

I'm proud of myself for resisting the demon bluetooth hype and doing the sensible thing -- purchase an affordable wirless mouse for under $30 that actually works perfectly.

(Edit: Sorry, I misread your post -- you've got an RF mouse designed for notebooks. I actually didn't know they existed, but I prefer to go without a dongle.)

I'm glad to hear that you like your mouse, but don't forget that some of us that can't do the same thing because we own portable computers. Carrying around an RF attachment just doesn't make any sense for a PowerBook owner, but Bluetooth is perfect for the job.

Unfortunately, it seems that many are waiting for the perfect Bluetooth mouse to come along.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

I think it'll just work, but only scrolling and left/right clicks- not the 2 other buttons- I think you might have to install the intellimouse software for that..

Nice. I read that Darwin can support up to 32 buttons though. Wouldn't it be nice to see a way to assign functions to buttons in Panther Mouse and Keyboard prefs? Delete, Cmd Back and Forward, and Option would be really cool shortcuts to assign different buttons. However if I need to install an M$ driver for that fuggediboudit!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pais

I'm glad to hear that you like your mouse, but don't forget that some of us that can't do the same thing because we own portable computers. Carrying around an RF attachment just doesn't make any sense for a PowerBook owner, but Bluetooth is perfect for the job.

Unfortunately, it seems that many are waiting for the perfect Bluetooth mouse to come along.

Pais -- to the contrary -- i'm using my Targus wireless RF mouse with my (brand new) 12" PowerBook right now ... a perfect compliment, as it's silver and matches the finish of the 'Book. The mouse itself is also small -- so it fits in my small PowerBook carrying bag.

The RF "dongle" is 1" long and thinner than the PBook. Granted it's not as elegant as a Bluetooth mouse -- but at $29 it's a virtual "no brainer" for someone who needs a great wireless portable mouse today -- and who doesn't want to pay $80 for Microsoft's somewhat bulky BlueTooth mouse. Besides the MS BT mouse didn't have the "side to side" action some of their newer mice have -- so personally I'll wait until they fix this, and more bluetooth mice come on the market. For now my inexpensive little Targus will do the trick.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    I love my PC's IntelliMouse Optical. 4 buttons + Wheel-Button gives me all the control I need. I was quite concerned about finding a good 2 button BT mouse until I happened upon the last Apple Wireless Mouse at my college bookstore. I figured "what the heck" and bought it.

Holy hell, that's a nice mouse. It's perfect for everything I need to do on my Mac. See if you can find one and give it a try before you abandon the idea of a 1 button mouse completely. You'll be impressed.