Centrino Not That Great?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was on a Dell Latitude (D600) and it had the centrino chip. It said ~2hrs of battery life at 84%. It was fluctuating, but it didn't seem to be that much greater then my PowerBook battery life, and it didn't seem any faster.

I thought you were supposed to get REAL 5-6hours with it?

It was using wireless also.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I was on a Dell Latitude (D600) and it had the centrino chip. It said ~2hrs of battery life at 84%. It was fluctuating, but it didn't seem to be that much greater then my PowerBook battery life, and it didn't seem any faster.

I thought you were supposed to get REAL 5-6hours with it?

It was using wireless also.

didn't seem faster....didn't seem longer.....

all bias and subjective.

centrino is a thorn in apple right now. apple used to have the best portable chip solution.

IBM where are you.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

didn't seem faster....didn't seem longer.....

all bias and subjective.

centrino is a thorn in apple right now. apple used to have the best portable chip solution.

IBM where are you.

Well I didn't do any complex tasks...could if I wanted to. But I'm sure, just due to the higher clock rate that is is faster for most things. I was going by the battery indictator which i assumed to be correct, but I guess apple's isn't so I shouldn't assume Dell's is.

Thorn yes. Centrino is a nice chip, wouldn't mind running OS X on it if I didn't loose anything and you could just swap the G4 and centrino IBM give me the .065 micron 970! (...or .09 will do)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    to save space and make it even more attractive to potential switchers, etc Apple should design a portable mobo with an AirPort extreme chip as embedded as possible.

Also bluetooth.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    well. battery life fluctuates soooo much on my powerbook that i dont care what the rating is.

if im using it in class for notes i can pull 4-5 hours easy....which is where it "should be"

the minute i start using airport, open a music file, or do anything near work it drops to 3 and below.

not bad. but the thing is, apple hasnt increased battery life since my model, its only decreased where as intel has gone up.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I think of Centrino as just Intels way of catching up to where the ibooks and powerbooks already were.

Plus, companies spend all this time worrying about power consumption (which is good and fine), but they need to solve the problems with batteries... after a year of use they last 5 minutes.. though I've never owned a Lithium yet, are those any better?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I'd argue that the 7457/7447 are better than the "Centrino" (Banias). If the new powerbook 15 didn't have a tiny battery, it would be kicking ass and taking names on the battery-life front.

Really, the Titanium 1GHz is vastly superior to the new 15" aluminum books aside from a small handful of electronics things, namely the new G4 chip, faster RAM, and the like. The TiBook looks better (opinion, but still), has a significantly bigger battery, and is smaller and lighter.

Aluminum was somehow a mistake. I'm not sure what the problem is, but the titanium just worked better.

As far as the future, it will be interesting to see what happens with these new altivec enhanced 750's. Should blow the Banias out of the water.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Well I bought a Benq centrino 1.3Ghz (cheap as sin, and ugly as hell), and it reaches 5h real hours disconnected from the mains.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I haven't done any time trials without airport turned on... perhaps that is why I only get 3 hours