Pismo IR as TV remote inport?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Would love to convert my soon to be replaced Pismo to a media center at home - any advice on using the IR port with TV remotes? I have a couple of universal remotes that I love, and would like to be able to trigger AppleScripts to perform various functions with the buggers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    My Newton can do that, but a PowerBook? :/
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, my beloved 2x00 can do it too, but I don't want to use it *AS* the remote, but use the remote *on* it.

The Pismo has S-video out, AirPort, iTunes, etc, etc, etc. I'm getting a new laptop, and it occurred to me that slapping this puppy in the entertainment center isn't a bad idea. I can stream music and video from the server in the study, and it should be nice.

A wireless keyboard/mouse gets me a lot of functionality, but I'd rather not have to keep hauling them out. So, I was thinking that the IR port on the Pismo might be able to receive IR remote signals sent by a remote. I have a fairly programmable remote, and if I could have an app on the laptop that scans the IR port, and triggers AppleScripts in response to remote codes... well, it'd be a lot nicer.

I've also toyed with the idea of ripping the hardware apart and reconfiguring it in a stereo component chassis so the IR is on the front but other ports are on the back, the wireless antenna nicely unshielded while the rest is, and maybe a flip-up screen for when I really want to work directly on it. I mean really, how hard could *that* be?