Apple G5 VS Alienware Aurora:

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...49,pg,7,00.asp

Sorry if this is already posted...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Well, I was just reading about that and even the single athlon chips beat the G5 in some stuff. Seems the G5 still owns in photoshop but I was hoping we were past that.

Well at least those G5 owners don't have to use a beta OS

At least the headlines today had some good news...the G5 cluster at VT may be the second fastest supercomputer out there.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I wonder if Panther will change any of those G5 results (for the better, of course). Besides, Premiere has never performed well on Macs... and Word (as Explorer) is crippledware from MicroSoft. I am not trying to be an Apple apologist, but having witnessed a Dual G5 in action (Final Cut Pro), I have my doubts a single Athlon would have perfomed so much better as those tests imply.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well, Macs aren't that expensive compared to what Alienware offers:

Similar spec my arse, a similar specced Aurora costs more than the G5, look for yourself...

It costs $3480

Radeon 9800

160GB SATA

Superdrive

1GB DDR

modem

A smiliar G5 costs $3299

Dual 2Ghz

Radeon 9800

160GB SATA

Superdrive

512MB (too expensive through apple get it somewhere else)

modem

The Aurora has a sound card, but hey, the G5 doesn't really need it, the aurora does.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The reason G5 performance keeps coming in to question is because the competition is scared.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

The reason G5 performance keeps coming in to question is because the competition is scared.

this needed a double dose of posting.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    If I were to ever buy a PC it would be an AlienWare. The fact is that the dual G5 is going to be faster than a single athlon. They have quite a few mistakes in their article I don't trust it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Being discussed here.