This is a novelty...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My power is out, but I've still got the Internet!

It's been very windy here in southern New Hampshire for the past few hours. The lights flickered a few times, then they went out. My neighborhood seems to be bad for that -- if power is going to go out anywhere (often in the form of an exploding transformer) it goes out here. I suppose a tree probably blew into a power line somewhere.

Oddly enough, whatever killed the power didn't kill my cable modem service. I've shut off all of the desktop computers in the house, but my cable modem and router are still running off battery backup, which should go a good long time with such a small power drain as that.

My extra battery for my 12" PowerBook arrived Monday, and I've already charged it up in case the time left of this battery runs out.

Hmmm... I think I recall saying it didn't bother me that the 12" PB didn't have a lighted keyboard option. Guess I'll have to sit closer to the candle.

Now if I'd only bought a battery back-up for my TiVo like I'd been considering, I wouldn't be missing Enterprise right now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Speaking of exploding transformers...

Power is out again. It's a perfectly fine day, no high winds or rain or snow. But I heard the tell-tale loud BOOM, and the power went out. It's been out for about 10 minutes now. Wonder how long it will take to fix this time.

Last time this happened, I asked the power company to please see if they could replace the transformers in this neighborhood with the non-exploding variety. I guess they didn't heed my request.

Seriously... I wonder what it could be about the power system in my neighborhood that makes it so prone to transformer explosions. Running too close to capacity all of the time? Old junk that's only being replaced when it fails?

Looks like having a working internet connection during a blackout is getting to be less of a novelty, too.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were referring to this:

• Reply 3 of 3
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by åsen

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were referring to this:

That image is probably capable of causing power transformers to explode.

55 minutes, and still no power (other than batteries)...