Boch Xperience: anyone ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone tried mounting windows with it?

I have both windows 2000 and windows 98 to fool around with.

Allegedly Boch software will run them on mac...

Or so I gather...

Any experiences...?

Ps I am using 9.2 classic..not carbonite....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I haven't used it myself, but everything I've read says it is significantly slower than VirtualPC.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I haven't used it myself, but everything I've read says it is significantly slower than VirtualPC.

I've used both, and I can confirm that it is much slower than VPC (but hey, it's complete lack of optimisation means that it will run on a G5). It's also a bit of a pain in the bottom to set up - installing Win98SE on by DP867 took overnight (although it might have taken less time if I hadn't fallen asleep), and what's more, you'll have to fiddle a bit with the configuration file to get it to work at all ? fun fun fun.

For OS X, you can, however, get a precompiled package from OSXGNU. There's also a non-free version sold by openosx as "wintel", who, by most accounts, are a bunch of scumbags (stealing IP from fink, for one).

For OS 9, there definitely was a port done and maintained since the early nineties, but I haven't the faintest idea where you would find it these days.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I used it two years ago on Linux on my wallstreet powerbook, and it was unbelievably slow. And I had used VPC on that same 292mhz powerbook, and it was decent.

A lot can happen in two years, but I think optimizing for speed is not and never has been a priority for ppc bochs developers.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    On my 867MHz PowerBook, it runs slower than a 20MHz Pentium would. If I Remember Correctly, Bochs is written for portability rather than speed (so there aren't CPU specific optimisations as there are in Virtual PC). I have heard rumors of a version of Bochs that has faster CPU emulation: anyone else know anything of this?