Java Stuff

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What is the best program for writng and compliing and viualizing java programs, besdides project builder??? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I personally prefer BBEdit and the terminal javac...

Of course, if you have a really big project, projectbuilder would be the only way to do it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    For a large Java project I would use Eclipse because of the refactoring features.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    vi, make and javac can build any project you want. After all, vi, make and cc were used to build Unix.

1 to 9999 lines - small program (up to step 3)

10000 to 99999 lines - medium program (most programs fall into this range) (step 4)

100000+ lines - large program (step 5)

Most operating systems are step 7 and up.

I personally don't think graphical IDEs are suitable for anything over step 4. There's just too much clutter and not enough automation.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

vi, make and javac can build any project you want.

When it comes to java, I'd prefer Ant (maybe indirectly by using maven in order to be platform independent. For editing, I never really got to like vi, I prefer eclipse.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I use make even for Java, but ant does look more java-oriented. I haven't had time to study it yet.

Eclipse looks pretty neat. I'll check into it. Thanks!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Lots of companies are beginning to use Intellij IDEA. This runs on OSX, and will be sporting a full GUI dev environment very soon (now?)....